50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Family Issues, revisited

In the process of filing I130 for my stepdaughter, and visited a lawyer today to discuss some options. Thanks to this board, it seemed I knew more about the process than she did - thanks for all the advice!

So I'll post more unanswered questions here:

1. Right now I live in the Boston area, so I would be filing my petition in Vermont. However, in July I will be moving to Washington state, which is serviced by the Nebraska service center. Checking the processing dates, Vermont is about 9 months ahead of Nebraska. My question: when we move, will the application remain in Vermont, with simply a new address, or will they transfer the case to Nebraska, thus delaying the petition another 9 months?

2. Browsing the American Consul's website for Brazil, I noticed that we may qualify to submit the petition to the consul in Brazil, since my 8YO (9 on Monday!) stepdaughter still resides there. Would this be a faster option, and does anyone have any experience in this, applying directly to the consul rather than CIS?

Thanks

In the process of filing I130 for my stepdaughter, and visited a lawyer today to discuss some options. Thanks to this board, it seemed I knew more about the process than she did - thanks for all the advice!

So I'll post more unanswered questions here:

1. Right now I live in the Boston area, so I would be filing my petition in Vermont. However, in July I will be moving to Washington state, which is serviced by the Nebraska service center. Checking the processing dates, Vermont is about 9 months ahead of Nebraska. My question: when we move, will the application remain in Vermont, with simply a new address, or will they transfer the case to Nebraska, thus delaying the petition another 9 months?

2. Browsing the American Consul's website for Brazil, I noticed that we may qualify to submit the petition to the consul in Brazil, since my 8YO (9 on Monday!) stepdaughter still resides there. Would this be a faster option, and does anyone have any experience in this, applying directly to the consul rather than CIS?

Thanks

If you know you are going to move wait until you move.....otherwise, when they get your new address they will transfer the case and your case will be processed by transfer date NOT filing date. Sometimes the consulate is faster.....sometimes it is slower.

Since I already know where I will be moving (my parents' old house) could I file there with that address now? Should I first chnage our address with CIS for my wife's case, and if so, should we wait until we receive acknowledgement to file the petition?
    Thanks

Sad to say but you need to fill out a change of address for your wife's case. Merely filing a second petition with the new address for your daughter won't change it. CIS will never put 2 and 2 together, so to speak. You don't have to wait for acknowledgement from your wife's petition to file your stepdaughters. Each petition will be adjudicated independently.

Bronzelady, So you are USC by birth?
    How do you know about all this Immigration laws.?