free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Packet 4 question.

Hi all.

My spouse is a USC, I'm an intending immigrant (IR1) outside the U.S. When our case was being cleared through the NVC my spouse paid $65/$335 affidavit/visa fees, filled out and returned form I-864 Affidavit of Support. I filled out and returned form DS-230 PartI.

We just received Packet 4 from the embassy and guess what?! It contained instructions to fill out and bring to the interview forms DS-230 PartI and II and I-864 Affidavit of Support original signed by my spouse and notarized, as well as other instructions about medical, police clearance, etc. Also to be ready to pay $335 visa fee when instructed by an interviewing officer.

I know that things were done this way before the NVC started requesting I-864/DS-230 PartI and was just forwarding an approved I-130 to an embassy. Does this mean that the NVC kept those forms and we have to fill them out all over again and pay extra visa fee?! Or do those forms already in the file at the embassy and no new visa fee required?

Anybody who's been through the new NVC/embassy process please share your experiences. Thanks.

Hi all.

My spouse is a USC, I'm an intending immigrant (IR1) outside the U.S. When our case was being cleared through the NVC my spouse paid $65/$335 affidavit/visa fees, filled out and returned form I-864 Affidavit of Support. I filled out and returned form DS-230 PartI.

We just received Packet 4 from the embassy and guess what?! It contained instructions to fill out and bring to the interview forms DS-230 PartI and II and I-864 Affidavit of Support original signed by my spouse and notarized, as well as other instructions about medical, police clearance, etc. Also to be ready to pay $335 visa fee when instructed by an interviewing officer.

I know that things were done this way before the NVC started requesting I-864/DS-230 PartI and was just forwarding an approved I-130 to an embassy. Does this mean that the NVC kept those forms and we have to fill them out all over again and pay extra visa fee?! Or do those forms already in the file at the embassy and no new visa fee required?

Anybody who's been through the new NVC/embassy process please share your experiences. Thanks.

Yes you have to pay those fee's again. Your wife paid the Immigration & Naturalization Service, you will be paying the US Dept of State, they are 2 different agencies altogether.

I disagree with you , Julie.
    National Visa Center is a unit of the State Department not the CIS, so visa fee was already paid. I got an impression that the embassy hasn't adjusted yet to the new way the State Department collects visa fee and I-864/DS-230 PartI and mails out outdated instructions.

I totally disagree here, you don't have to pay any fees for sure again. There is a time gap between NVC forwarded your file to overseas consulate and actual interview, because of that they want to make sure that main petitioner is still working and all the information required is current like latest tax return that is 2003. I have gone through the same and I was told this from NVC. good luck.

Hi AK47:
    I'm going through almost the same thing and if you don't please could you give me you time line from the start of the NVC process. i'm at the point where I'm waiting for NVC to inform me weather they send my file to the embassy or if they need more paperwork.
    I know every case is different but as you know getting info. of others experience can be reasuring.
    Thanks in advance.

You are right the fee is not required, however you may need to complete the forms. When you visit the Embassy or consulate they will adjust the fees.

Originally posted by AK47:
    Hi all.

time line:

Feb 16 the NVC received file from CIS
    Feb 28 First letter from the NVC with form DS-3032 (choice of address and agent)
    and I-864/DS-230 bills $335/$65

two separate things happened:
    I returns DS-3032 from outside the U.S.
    spouse paid and returned visa/Affidavit fees

Mar 17 the NVC got DS-2032 due to slow mailing service
    Apr 03 spouse received bar-coded I-864 and DS-230, faxed DS-230 to me
    she returned the I-864 the next day
    I once again had to mail DS-230 Part I because they wanted my original signature
    May 22 the NVC got DS-230 Part I
    Jun 04 received a letter from the NVC that they forwarded the file to the embassy
    Jun 25 the embassy schedules an interview for Aug 17 2004!!!

I got an impression that it took the NVC 2-3 weeks to process the response and get back to us. The whole process took 6.5 months from the day the NVC got the file to the date of the interview. If you count out almost 1.5 months for slow mail it makes it 4 months to clear the case through the NVC and for an embassy to set an interview date. But once again processing time for Arabic and other "hostile" countries could be much longer. Our embassy is in Moscow.

Thanks for replying to my question, best of luck on your interview.