50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Getting Mom to the US

Bear with me here. Both my mother and I are German citizens. I currently have a green card. While my parents were married (my father is a US Citizen) my mother had a green card. When my parents divorced, my mother remained in Germany (1991) and I came to the US for college and have remained. My mother is now getting older and I would like her to move into our home in Massachusetts. What are my options? Can she renew her green card this late in the game? Does she need to be sponsored for a new green card? Is that something I can do, or my brother (who is a US citizen)?

Bear with me here. Both my mother and I are German citizens. I currently have a green card. While my parents were married (my father is a US Citizen) my mother had a green card. When my parents divorced, my mother remained in Germany (1991) and I came to the US for college and have remained. My mother is now getting older and I would like her to move into our home in Massachusetts. What are my options? Can she renew her green card this late in the game? Does she need to be sponsored for a new green card? Is that something I can do, or my brother (who is a US citizen)?

Your brother should be able to petition for your mom, since he is the USC as long as he meets the guidelines. Green card holders can only petition for spouse and unmarried children - see below for more. Good luck!

From: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb9...CM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

Eligibility
    In order for a relative to sponsor you to immigrate to the United States, they must meet the following criteria:

They must be a citizen or lawful permanent resident of the U.S. and be able to provide documentation providing that status.

They must prove that they can support you at 125% above the mandated poverty line, by filling out an Affidavit of Support
    The relatives which may be sponsored as an immigrant vary depending on whether the sponsor is a U.S. Citizen or a lawful permanent resident.

If the sponsor is a U.S. Citizen, they may petition for the following foreign national relatives to immigrate to the U.S:

Husband or wife
    Unmarried child under 21 years of age
    Unmarried son or daughter over 21
    Married son or daughter of any age
    Brother or sister, if the sponsor is at least 21 years old, or
    Parent, if the sponsor is at least 21 years old.

If the sponsor is a lawful permanent resident, they may petition for the following foreign national relatives to immigrate to the U.S.:

Husband or wife, or
    Unmarried son or daughter of any age.

In any case, the sponsor must be able to provide proof of the relationship.

Thank you for the prompt reply. Can my brother still petition for my mother if he lives in Seattle and she would be living in Boston?

I believe as long as he meets the guidelines showing he can provide support for her, it doesn't matter where your mom resides.

UW

how long have you been a greencard holder and are you eligible to apply for us citizen?

if so. go for it. dont wait