Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Great Interview BUT NOT APPROVED in Chicago

Hi Friends,
    As many of you know I was having my AOS interview (Marriage based)here in Chicago today May 12th 2004 at 8.10am. Well we reached the fed building at 7.45am and of course we went through the security check and reached the 2nd floor (it is a waiting area)We turned in our appointment letter at the window and just waited. Man it was a packed waiting area too many people. Anyway at 8.30 the lady calls my first name and says we have to go to the 23rd floor. So we do. We reach on the 23rd and waited again in a smaller waiting room. At 9.00am a Agent(VERY NICE MAN) calls my name and we follow him (My heart is pounding at the rate of 500 a min). He takes us to his office and says "before you sit down I want to put you both under oath to tell the truth" we said I DO. He had our file in front of him and he looks at his computer and starts with what's my name? Address? phone #? How did we meet? Why did I move from Oklahoma to Illinois? What do you do now? Where do you work? How many times I have been married before? How many kids do I have now or from previous marriage (if any)? By the way I was asked all these questions and I answered them. My USC wife was just smiling the whole time. Anyway then he pulls up my I-485 forms and starts asking me questions from the list. Have I been arrested before? Misrepresented any documents? Deported? Terrorist? How did I enter the US? Was I ever on public assistance before or now? Have I ever got in trouble with the police? I said I had 2 speeding tickets and they were not on record anymore (since I took driver's course and stuff if he wants I can prove it. The moment I said that he starts laughing and says "don't worry about that JUST RELEX it is a traffic violation so not a big deal but I love that you told me that I appreciate that" I told him I don't want to lie nor I have anything to hide so I just wanted him to know the truth and he said "just don't worry about it". And just by looking at him at this point me and my wife already knew that we were all clear and it was done. Once he was done with that he said he wanted to see some pictures we said great looked at 10-15 pics and I guess he was satisfied then he looked at our Tax papers 2001, 2002, 2003 and our joint bank statements credit card statements, car titles, Life, car insurance and some utility bills (Electric, phone, cell phone bills stuff like that)He just browsed through them in like 2 min. The only thing he read very VERY carefully were our tax papers and our bank statements (he was looking at each and every transactions) then he looks in his computer and starts typeing some thing. After he is done with that he says he wants my fingerprints for my green card and wants to look at my EADcard so he takes my fingerprint and checks EAD card. After he is done with that he looks at my wife and me and says that "everything looks great and that he was satisfied and most of the major back ground checks are back meaning fingerprint results from FBI/CIA stuff like that BUT he could NOT approve my case today cause the Name check's results were not back yet. And so he said that major stuff on my case is done and as soon as they get the results on those they will send me a letter letting me know when and where do I have to go to get my stamp". He said that These days they just do some more name checks and hence the delay. Overall it was a great experience the agent was just fun to talk to. He was smart, professional NEVER treated us bad or anything always asked me questions with a smile. The real shockers for us was that he did not ask ANYTHING to my wife. He did not even check ANY originals of ANY documents EXCEPT our driver's license. It was really surprising to me and my wife. My wife tells me that she knew that we were approved even before the interview just by looking at him and the way he was asking us the questions and his smiles. I guess it is true that they already have made a decision even before the interview. Our interview lasted for like 25 min and we were done. If it was not for the Name check I would be having that stamp on my passport right now. Oh well I guess the wait begins AGAIN.

Now my question to you lovely people is what is a Name Check? Who conducts these checks? And after interview how long does it take to get the results? Is anyone here facing the same thing I am facing now? Please advise and comment. Once again thank you so much for your help guys. I really appreciate it.

Raju

Hi Friends,
    As many of you know I was having my AOS interview (Marriage based)here in Chicago today May 12th 2004 at 8.10am. Well we reached the fed building at 7.45am and of course we went through the security check and reached the 2nd floor (it is a waiting area)We turned in our appointment letter at the window and just waited. Man it was a packed waiting area too many people. Anyway at 8.30 the lady calls my first name and says we have to go to the 23rd floor. So we do. We reach on the 23rd and waited again in a smaller waiting room. At 9.00am a Agent(VERY NICE MAN) calls my name and we follow him (My heart is pounding at the rate of 500 a min). He takes us to his office and says "before you sit down I want to put you both under oath to tell the truth" we said I DO. He had our file in front of him and he looks at his computer and starts with what's my name? Address? phone #? How did we meet? Why did I move from Oklahoma to Illinois? What do you do now? Where do you work? How many times I have been married before? How many kids do I have now or from previous marriage (if any)? By the way I was asked all these questions and I answered them. My USC wife was just smiling the whole time. Anyway then he pulls up my I-485 forms and starts asking me questions from the list. Have I been arrested before? Misrepresented any documents? Deported? Terrorist? How did I enter the US? Was I ever on public assistance before or now? Have I ever got in trouble with the police? I said I had 2 speeding tickets and they were not on record anymore (since I took driver's course and stuff if he wants I can prove it. The moment I said that he starts laughing and says "don't worry about that JUST RELEX it is a traffic violation so not a big deal but I love that you told me that I appreciate that" I told him I don't want to lie nor I have anything to hide so I just wanted him to know the truth and he said "just don't worry about it". And just by looking at him at this point me and my wife already knew that we were all clear and it was done. Once he was done with that he said he wanted to see some pictures we said great looked at 10-15 pics and I guess he was satisfied then he looked at our Tax papers 2001, 2002, 2003 and our joint bank statements credit card statements, car titles, Life, car insurance and some utility bills (Electric, phone, cell phone bills stuff like that)He just browsed through them in like 2 min. The only thing he read very VERY carefully were our tax papers and our bank statements (he was looking at each and every transactions) then he looks in his computer and starts typeing some thing. After he is done with that he says he wants my fingerprints for my green card and wants to look at my EADcard so he takes my fingerprint and checks EAD card. After he is done with that he looks at my wife and me and says that "everything looks great and that he was satisfied and most of the major back ground checks are back meaning fingerprint results from FBI/CIA stuff like that BUT he could NOT approve my case today cause the Name check's results were not back yet. And so he said that major stuff on my case is done and as soon as they get the results on those they will send me a letter letting me know when and where do I have to go to get my stamp". He said that These days they just do some more name checks and hence the delay. Overall it was a great experience the agent was just fun to talk to. He was smart, professional NEVER treated us bad or anything always asked me questions with a smile. The real shockers for us was that he did not ask ANYTHING to my wife. He did not even check ANY originals of ANY documents EXCEPT our driver's license. It was really surprising to me and my wife. My wife tells me that she knew that we were approved even before the interview just by looking at him and the way he was asking us the questions and his smiles. I guess it is true that they already have made a decision even before the interview. Our interview lasted for like 25 min and we were done. If it was not for the Name check I would be having that stamp on my passport right now. Oh well I guess the wait begins AGAIN.

Now my question to you lovely people is what is a Name Check? Who conducts these checks? And after interview how long does it take to get the results? Is anyone here facing the same thing I am facing now? Please advise and comment. Once again thank you so much for your help guys. I really appreciate it.

Raju

congratulations Raju...

Name check is another name of background check .... my friend had the same situation like yours...only difference he was not in USA .... usually it takes from 2 months to max 1 year after interview.... in his case it took about 11 months...but hopefully it will be faster with your case as u r here so less time and less sub - centers to deal with ... Good luck

raju thanks so much for sharing that experience with us. it was very informative. congrats on a smooth interview!

This is the first time that I hear something like this. Well it could have easily happened to me as I have a conjunction on my last name. I guess I was lucky because not only did I not have that but my interview was 10 minutes with a third of the questions.
    same time as yours.
    Well Congratulations. I hope he will follow up thoroughly, because it was really important that you walked out of there with stamp passpoart and/or letter stating that you have been approved. Something that proves that you were interviewed.
    Well but if this is a new thing go figure! Most important Congratulations!

Congrats Raju!!!!!!!!!
    Sorry to hear that your passport did not get stamped. Maybe you have a common name, and/or are from the Middle East that is why the name check takes time. But you should be fine.
    Enjoy your post interview situation, at least you've been through!
    and take care!

Congrats!!!! Don't worry it will just take some time to get the stamp, but YEAH! Also they never asked me (USC) anything at the AOS marriage based interview either.

Congrats Raju!

the only thing they asked me (USC) is if I ever received any public assistance.

I have a question about pics. I have thousands of pics taken by digital camera in my computer.

Is there a way I can show them (maybe thumbprints) without having to print them all out individually, or take photo cd?
    Sweet Madame Belu

First of all Congrats!!

You and I have the same thing going on.
    I did my interview about 2 months ago and it went really smoothly BUT, BUT, I didn't get my passport stamped either because my background check results aren't back yet so I have been waiting since.

I am from West Africa so I hope it'll make a difference at all. Or maybe not. Oh well!!.

I hope this whole FBI process goes fast so we can get it over with.

Thanks and congrats again.
    BLSI.

Hi Pasha Patel
    Thank you so much for your response . Now my question to you is was this friend of yours also from India by any chance? May be this name check thing is done from India. Oh well either way I just have to wait now I guess god knows how many more months for this. Thank you for your input though.
    Raju

Hi robbie
    Thank you so much for your response . You are welcome man. I am happy that you could learn some things from my experience. Best of luck with your case.
    Raju

Hi Wish ,
    I think you read my posting wrong I never got a letter of approval or a stamp on my passport it was just verbal by the agent that he was satisfied with what he had seen so far on my case and that was it. Name check is the thing which is holding up my case so hopefully they will get the results soon so I can move on with life. Anyway thank you so much for your response.
    Raju

Hi Kalla
    Thank you so much for your response. Well I am disappointed too that I did not get the stamp but oh well may be soon. Well I am from India not from Middle East. But I am sure there are a lot of people with my last name I guess or even first name. Anyway the wait begin
    Raju

Hi ardainia,
    Thank you so much for your response. I know it is few months more but I was planning on going to India and stuff you know but oh well. I guess we still should be fine after all name check should not take more then 6 months I hope since we were planning on going to India Next year mar/april 2005. What do you think?
    Raju

Hello josephine schmo,
    Thank you so much for your response. Well as far as pics are concerned he just browsed 10-15 pics of the 2 al***s. As far as your question goes I think you can show them thumbprints but I am sure they want to see some pics Individually too. I don't know if they have access to a photo CD drive at their office at least it looked to me that way. The computer screen looked like the computer used at airports at port of entry.
    Raju