publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: File I-485 concurrently with I-130 at local office or service center?

The instructions for the I-130 are confusing.
    Here is what they say:

NOTE: If the I-130 petition is being filed concurretly with form I-485, submit both forms at the local INS office having juridiction over the place where the I-485 applicant resides.

We live in PA, so I believe the local office would be in Philadelphia.

The confusing thing is this paragraph is surrounded by other paragraphs saying "If you live in such and such a state mail this petition to such and such service center."

I would guess from these instructions that I'm supposed to mail it to the local office in Philadelphia, but I want to make sure of this.

The instructions for the I-130 are confusing.
    Here is what they say:

NOTE: If the I-130 petition is being filed concurretly with form I-485, submit both forms at the local INS office having juridiction over the place where the I-485 applicant resides.

We live in PA, so I believe the local office would be in Philadelphia.

The confusing thing is this paragraph is surrounded by other paragraphs saying "If you live in such and such a state mail this petition to such and such service center."

I would guess from these instructions that I'm supposed to mail it to the local office in Philadelphia, but I want to make sure of this.

IF you are filing the 485 pack, that includes the I-130, YES it would go to your District office. IF only filing the I-130 it would go to a service center. I assume your sending the whole pack in, it DOES go to the local District office.

I think you're right, normally it would go to the district office, but on their website I read the following:

"For those adjustment applications filed at the local office, please note effective February 17, 2004, the Philadelphia District Office will no longer process I-130/I-485 applications or any application submitted in conjunction with an I-485. This includes Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, and Form I-131, Application for Travel Document. We will accept the applications by mail or in person, with fees attached and forward them daily to the National Benefit Center for processing. You will receive a filing receipt from that office within 14 days. All employment documents and travel documents will be mailed directly to you from the National Benefit Center. Adjustment of Status interviews will still be conducted locally once the case is scheduled and transferred back to Philadelphia."

In any case, I'm going to send it to the local district office, and they will then forward it to the appropriate place.

I would do what it just told you. Having them forward it is very risky! They tend to lose things and it takes forever to get it fixed. Send it where it told you to.

GWB,

That is correct. You forward it to the local office. There they do what's called a "slit and peek". The open the envelope (slit) and see what's inside it (peek). If it is an application package they are forwarded (still in the original envelope) to the NBC. NBC will do all of the upfront processing (start background checks, create a file, deposit checks, issue receipts, process any employment or travel applications, schedule the case for an interview, etc.) and then forward the file back to the district office (when they are up to that processing date) for the interview.