50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: No decision in Naturalization interview

I became a permanent resident through my mother who is a naturalized citizen. I had my Naturalization interview early this month in New York City. Everything went very smoothly. I speak perfect English and answered all the questions without difficulty. I haven't had any problems with the law. I am a professional with a 6-figure income and I have paid all my taxes on time. Anyway, I was expecting the congratulatory notice and I was ready to jump of joy, when, to my amazement, the officer told me "OK, you passed the English and civics exam. Now go home and we'll inform you of our decision by mail." When I asked for further explanation, she just said something like part of my file was not available and that she had to take a look at it before she could make a decision on my application for citizenship. This was a great disappointment for me. Three weeks have passed and I haven't heard from them. Has anyone had that experience? How long does it take to hear from them? I have a trip abroad in 6 weeks and I was looking forward to having my US passport by then. I am afraid that I'll have to cancel the trip.

I became a permanent resident through my mother who is a naturalized citizen. I had my Naturalization interview early this month in New York City. Everything went very smoothly. I speak perfect English and answered all the questions without difficulty. I haven't had any problems with the law. I am a professional with a 6-figure income and I have paid all my taxes on time. Anyway, I was expecting the congratulatory notice and I was ready to jump of joy, when, to my amazement, the officer told me "OK, you passed the English and civics exam. Now go home and we'll inform you of our decision by mail." When I asked for further explanation, she just said something like part of my file was not available and that she had to take a look at it before she could make a decision on my application for citizenship. This was a great disappointment for me. Three weeks have passed and I haven't heard from them. Has anyone had that experience? How long does it take to hear from them? I have a trip abroad in 6 weeks and I was looking forward to having my US passport by then. I am afraid that I'll have to cancel the trip.

Hmmm.....could be your background with the fingerprints was not completed yet. How long ago did you get your fingerprints done?

I just had my interview on Friday, my fingerprints were done Oct 24th 2005 and my interview just April 21st 2006. I received the Congratulatory notice you are speaking about and it is a nice feeling, now I just have to wait for my oath date.

It could be that your file isn't complete yet because of a hold up with the fingerprints and background (maybe backlogged).

Good luck!