publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Which is best: K1, Marriage Abroad or Marriage in U.S.?

Hi,

I am a US Citizen. My girlfriend is Japanese, living in Tokyo. Which option is preferable, to apply for a K1 visa, to get married abroad and then immigrate, or to get married when she is visiting here? I beleive the latter is frowned upon, but not sure.
    We want to be married, and residing in the U.S., the sooner the better.

Thanks,
    JB

Hi,

I am a US Citizen. My girlfriend is Japanese, living in Tokyo. Which option is preferable, to apply for a K1 visa, to get married abroad and then immigrate, or to get married when she is visiting here? I beleive the latter is frowned upon, but not sure.
    We want to be married, and residing in the U.S., the sooner the better.

Thanks,
    JB

The problem you may face getting married in Japan is the time factor in getting her papers and bringing her here,I'm not sure how it works ,you may have to check with the US consulate for their procedures and timelines.But why do you say it is frowned upon to come on a K1 and get married.Thats the purpose of the visa,to bring your finace in as a non immigrant and you have 90 days to get married.

"What does the "new" K mean:

The purpose of new K visa is to reunite families that have been or could be subject to a long period of separation during the process of immigrating to the United States. Holders of the new K visas will be able to wait in the US for this process to be completed. "
    http://www.immigration.com/newslette...or.html#ead-11

I meant I beleive it is frowned upon for her to come here on a tourist visa, and get married while she is here, not on a K1.

So, you think K1 may be preferable?

Thanks.
    JB

Well you'r right,the ins might thing it was preplanned to come on a visitor/tourist visa , get married and apply for change of status. A K1 would definitely be better.

The K-1 is the "right" way to do it because in this case, you already intend to marry. Her coming in on a tourist visa will mean misrepresentation on her part because she will be lying about her intentions of not returning to Japan.

The time it takes to get a tourist and K-1 might even be the same.

Best wishes to both of you.

The fastest way of getting your girl-friend here to the USA, will be to submit I-129f for a K-1 Visa. You could get married in Japan, but because you are a USC, the Japanese government might ask you for a permit to be able to perform the marriage. This is due to the fact that you're a foreigner, you might want to check first to see of they ask for one. If you want to do everything the legal way, DO NOT use the tourist visa to bring her here to the USA. You might encounter problems.

Here is my 2 cents worth response.

If you want to marry your Japanese girlfriend, the easiest and fastest is for your to apply or petitioned her on a Fiancee visa, she will come to the US to marry you with in the period of 90 days. If no marriage occur with in that period then she has to go back to Japan. If marriage occur then she could apply for adjustment of status in the US to get a CR1 (conditional resident) which could be renewed 90 days prior to the second anniversary of the marriage.

If you plan to marry her in Tokyo, then apply her later to join you in the US, that is different story and it will take a while before the application/petition will be approved.

To my limited knowledge, Japan is a country that does not require visa to enter the US for 90 days visit, so your GF can come to the US and visit you and then marry in a place you want to marry. Then have her adjust her status, by petitioning her as your spouse (immediate relative of a USC). In that way your GF can just fly right from Tokyo and she can be with you.

Hi:
    I got married in the us 12 years ago, but my case was the other way around. Me and my wife had already decided to live in my country of residence, which is not the USA. She was a green card holder at that time, but she returned it at the local US embassy.

Since immigration is tougher now in the US, could it happen to somebody in a similar situation nowadays, to be refused entry into the US to get married, even if the plan is to move out of the US?
    Carlos

I've said it before and I'll stress it again. To have the conditions removed, it's not before your second marriage anniversary, it's before the second anniversary of you getting your green card!

Just look on your conditional green card, that's the date you have to file before.

The problem with the girlfriend coming over on a Visa Waiver, and yes Japan has those, is that entering the country on a VW planning to get married is illegal. And if they find out that someone knowingly did that, or even suspect it, they'll give you a lovely deportation gift and send you on your way.
    The best way IS the Fiance Visa.

As for Carlos, they could not let you enter but if you have a fiance visa, you've already gone through the process of being screened and all that junk so I really don't see why they wouldn't let someone on a K visa in unless they think that person won't really get married to their intended and not leave.