50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Job offer from the United Nations

I am permanent resident of the US from September 1, 2005. I got job offer from the United Nations and the post is outside of the US. I am wondering if there is a way to maintain my permanent residency status for future naturalization?

Thank,
    Lev

I am permanent resident of the US from September 1, 2005. I got job offer from the United Nations and the post is outside of the US. I am wondering if there is a way to maintain my permanent residency status for future naturalization?

Thank,
    Lev

You may be able to preserve your green card by maintaining ties here and coming back regularly; however, being out of the country will probably extend the time it takes you to become eligible for citizenship.

Depends which country you're representing. There are positions and posts at UN that serve America's interest. So, if you represent America then you don't lose your residency. In Canada, one's permanency period continues to count if he works for a Canadian company in a foreign land.

You must maintain a domicile in the US and pay Taxes - unless there is a tax treaty. You should come back often - at least for a total of 6 months a year.

Permanent residency does not end unless it is recinded by USCIS or you are deported. many times it is reinstated after a person has left for a time - depending on the reasons. Check the USCIS website and look under Military, diplomatic, or religious orders. I believe there is information there. You can also file for an unreliquished domicile. I have some more inforamation I can access for you if you are interested.

You may wish to check with a good lawyer.

Thanks everyone for information and advice. The post is with UN Office of Drug and Crime, HIV prevention among drug using population in Indonesia.

I woudl really apprecite additional information to draw plan of actions. Thanks again