Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fears of an Immigrant

Hi!

I am going to reply to a couple of messages. Sorry it took me so long.

First off too pachacutec you and me sound very alike.

I know all the frustration you speak of. I work hard nad have a lot of goals in life. Never comit any crimes or hurt anyone. But yet I am just a 2nd class human in this country. A lot of people on here say oh look at the immigrants they want our social security and your welfare and our jobs , Kick them out. Bush himself makes it very clear that anyone that doesn't fit his white american republican criteria is not welcome , including american gays or people that are fleeing their country because they fear torture. Which doesn't apply too me. But yet we can't say nothing about his DUI's , his drug uses in the past , and his excellent military record. But he is so much better then us. How is this fair. My neighbord accross the street , young couple living with the girls parents got a kid already and receive welfare checks and the Wic programs , yet they buy brand new camaros and put $2000 rims on that. How does that work.

I don't want anything.

All I want is to be able not too have too worry all the time. Or to open up a bank account with a savings program.

I want to be able to speed and take my punishment and pay the ticket and not have to worry if my life as i know it is over now.

I don't want too lose my wallet with my drivers license and know its going to cost me $400 to get a new one because I have too fly to florida.

This one time I was 19 years old , at that time I was takeing a bunch of honors classes in high school , I was in the top 20% of test scources in the country on the military ASVAP test and coulda done almost anything in the military. I was publishing with my a family a magazine with over 100,000 readers. I made tv appearances almost every months on either CBS or NBC local stations. I was on a half hour talk on TV . I had my own radio talk show and appeared on another one almost every 2 weeks which was on a FM station with probably close too 50,000 listeners.
    So I thought life was good you going the right way. One day we had to ship a bunch of stuff so I said I take it to UPS. UPS in Las Vegas is on Martin Luther Kind Blvd so I wasn't going to a great part of town. As I was driving thru I drove thru a side street which was an public houseing area. I was dateing a girl and her family was very poor so thats where they lived. I just drove by to see if my gf's car was there and it wasn't so I just made a U turn and went back out to the main street. Cops saw me coming out there and pulled me over. Right away asking me what you are doing here. And I am explaing it too them. Then they ask me what kind of car I am driving So I am telling em 96 Mustang Gt convertible which it was. So he asked for license and registration and insurance , which I hand him and its all in order. So they sit in the car for 15mins running my stuff. And I am so afraid because I am illegal and its my first contact with police ever and its taken forever. Then he comes back out and asks me why do you have a florida license , and I tell him because I am thinking about moving there and spend time there because we are expanding our company to be published in florida. I offer him to show my business card and have magazine with me with my picture on them. I even offer him to call my editor and she can verify it. I had about 4 boxes in my car and he ask whats in the boxes. And I told him just computer equipment we used on a trade show and its being shipped back thats why I am going too UPS. I am telling him I could open one and show him and he kinda yells at me don't touch those. Tells me to get out of the car and handcuffs me. In Bright daylight , in front of hundreds of cars and makes me stand in front of his car like some sort of ********er. And then he says too me if you have any guns or drugs in your car you better tell me about it now son. And I am telling him officer I work for this magazine I am not a criminal my family own this magazine, last month we helped raise over $20,000 for mash village and Local vegas schools so the kids and homeless could get computer equipment. I spend almost a month getting computer stuff from all sorts of companies and writing articles about their products so it would encourage them to donate. His answer too that was just be quite we are not calling anybody. I was thinking nice , so I stood there for another 15 mins until a K-9 unit arrived and had a dog search my car which of course they found nothing . At the end they didn't even say sorry for inconvencing me or holding me for an hour and half by the time it got all done. As a matter of fact I was kissing their *** and telling em they are doing great because I was so relieved they didn't realize I am an illegal immigrant. That night I realized I wasn't shit, I am just a loser at the bottom at the barel . I have no rights and basically no options.
    Now I am 26 and live with the stress of this life every day. I am self employed and the key of being self employed is , to be able to put something away for the future invest in real estate or something. And I can't do that unless I come up with like a crazy down payement. I use to be so far ahead and had such a huge drive and you just get to a certain block you can't pass unless you do it in illegal ways. I am really depressed about my life and my situation in this country and already decided if bush gets re-elected I am leaving the country no point in being here anymore. The system is great and you have a lot of opportunity but they are asking me to play soccer without a goalie and its a game I can not win.

There are so many people on here that sit at home in their chairs. And they make fun out because we didn't spell a word correctly , or they judge us because we are from a different country and we are not seposed to be here. But they have no idea what its like. And since the 9/11 deal imigrants become even more of just a scapegoat. Walk a mile in my shoes and see how it feels.

Hi!

I am going to reply to a couple of messages. Sorry it took me so long.

First off too pachacutec you and me sound very alike.

I know all the frustration you speak of. I work hard nad have a lot of goals in life. Never comit any crimes or hurt anyone. But yet I am just a 2nd class human in this country. A lot of people on here say oh look at the immigrants they want our social security and your welfare and our jobs , Kick them out. Bush himself makes it very clear that anyone that doesn't fit his white american republican criteria is not welcome , including american gays or people that are fleeing their country because they fear torture. Which doesn't apply too me. But yet we can't say nothing about his DUI's , his drug uses in the past , and his excellent military record. But he is so much better then us. How is this fair. My neighbord accross the street , young couple living with the girls parents got a kid already and receive welfare checks and the Wic programs , yet they buy brand new camaros and put $2000 rims on that. How does that work.

I don't want anything.

All I want is to be able not too have too worry all the time. Or to open up a bank account with a savings program.

I want to be able to speed and take my punishment and pay the ticket and not have to worry if my life as i know it is over now.

I don't want too lose my wallet with my drivers license and know its going to cost me $400 to get a new one because I have too fly to florida.

This one time I was 19 years old , at that time I was takeing a bunch of honors classes in high school , I was in the top 20% of test scources in the country on the military ASVAP test and coulda done almost anything in the military. I was publishing with my a family a magazine with over 100,000 readers. I made tv appearances almost every months on either CBS or NBC local stations. I was on a half hour talk on TV . I had my own radio talk show and appeared on another one almost every 2 weeks which was on a FM station with probably close too 50,000 listeners.
    So I thought life was good you going the right way. One day we had to ship a bunch of stuff so I said I take it to UPS. UPS in Las Vegas is on Martin Luther Kind Blvd so I wasn't going to a great part of town. As I was driving thru I drove thru a side street which was an public houseing area. I was dateing a girl and her family was very poor so thats where they lived. I just drove by to see if my gf's car was there and it wasn't so I just made a U turn and went back out to the main street. Cops saw me coming out there and pulled me over. Right away asking me what you are doing here. And I am explaing it too them. Then they ask me what kind of car I am driving So I am telling em 96 Mustang Gt convertible which it was. So he asked for license and registration and insurance , which I hand him and its all in order. So they sit in the car for 15mins running my stuff. And I am so afraid because I am illegal and its my first contact with police ever and its taken forever. Then he comes back out and asks me why do you have a florida license , and I tell him because I am thinking about moving there and spend time there because we are expanding our company to be published in florida. I offer him to show my business card and have magazine with me with my picture on them. I even offer him to call my editor and she can verify it. I had about 4 boxes in my car and he ask whats in the boxes. And I told him just computer equipment we used on a trade show and its being shipped back thats why I am going too UPS. I am telling him I could open one and show him and he kinda yells at me don't touch those. Tells me to get out of the car and handcuffs me. In Bright daylight , in front of hundreds of cars and makes me stand in front of his car like some sort of ********er. And then he says too me if you have any guns or drugs in your car you better tell me about it now son. And I am telling him officer I work for this magazine I am not a criminal my family own this magazine, last month we helped raise over $20,000 for mash village and Local vegas schools so the kids and homeless could get computer equipment. I spend almost a month getting computer stuff from all sorts of companies and writing articles about their products so it would encourage them to donate. His answer too that was just be quite we are not calling anybody. I was thinking nice , so I stood there for another 15 mins until a K-9 unit arrived and had a dog search my car which of course they found nothing . At the end they didn't even say sorry for inconvencing me or holding me for an hour and half by the time it got all done. As a matter of fact I was kissing their *** and telling em they are doing great because I was so relieved they didn't realize I am an illegal immigrant. That night I realized I wasn't shit, I am just a loser at the bottom at the barel . I have no rights and basically no options.
    Now I am 26 and live with the stress of this life every day. I am self employed and the key of being self employed is , to be able to put something away for the future invest in real estate or something. And I can't do that unless I come up with like a crazy down payement. I use to be so far ahead and had such a huge drive and you just get to a certain block you can't pass unless you do it in illegal ways. I am really depressed about my life and my situation in this country and already decided if bush gets re-elected I am leaving the country no point in being here anymore. The system is great and you have a lot of opportunity but they are asking me to play soccer without a goalie and its a game I can not win.

There are so many people on here that sit at home in their chairs. And they make fun out because we didn't spell a word correctly , or they judge us because we are from a different country and we are not seposed to be here. But they have no idea what its like. And since the 9/11 deal imigrants become even more of just a scapegoat. Walk a mile in my shoes and see how it feels.

We judge you not because you're from a different country, but because you choose to break our laws, then expect that you'll have the same life a citizen or legal resident does.

If your family is so capable then it seems to me there would have been a legal way for you to come here or remain here, particularly with programs such as 245i which only expired 2 years ago. You and your family just decided the rules don't apply to you, and as you're learning the hard way, Americans do take their rules seriously.

By the way, it's one thing to have to put up with a "family member" who messes up, or needs help (welfare programs, for example), and quite another to let every Tom, Dick and Harry from any other country move in uninvited and expect the same.

Wah Wah Wah.

If you had done it LEGALLY like millions of others are doing every year -- you wouldn't be in this mess.

Others did it LEGALLY, why couldn't YOU?

Oh yeah I forgot. You wanted a shortcut through our immigration system. Think our system is bad? Try being an illegal in Israel, Saudi Arabia or Japan. I dare you...

-= nav =-

Vegasguy,

You think like me, and probably like many others in this country, people in the same or in a similar situation. I don't need to walk in your shoes for 1 mile to know how that feels, I did the whole marathon, believe me! I have committed no crime (other than overstaying my visa), but I am a treated like a criminal in the U.S.. I know FEAR! I wake up with it and I go to bed with it. It's a nightmare, ..but it is a part of my life, and if this is part of the price I have to pay for having a better life in the (hopefully near) future, then I will pay it. It is NOT about how much you pay, but about how much you get in exchange. I think it's a fair deal to pay what I pay!

Also, I am NOT anti-Bush, anti-republican, anti-democrat, nor will I leave this country just because republicans are in power. While the republicans are mostly passive (and I understand that given the circumstances since 9/11) in doing something for us (the legal or illegal immigrants), the democrats were active and passed IIRAIRA in 1996, that gave us the 3 and 10-year re-entry bar. Then Clinton was active again to give us the almighty 245(i) just before he left office, but stupidly, partly because of my confusion during that time, I failed to take advantage of it.
    Do not reduce everything to republicans vs. democrats! Reading your story from previous postings, makes me think that you could have been at least a permanent resident by now, maybe even a citizen of this country, if you would have taken advantage of some current or now expired American laws. I didn't do it, you didn't do it either, now we're both illegal and without a chance to adjust to legal status in the U.S. (at least for now). It is our fault, as much as it is the others' fault. NOBODY has NEVER the entire fault!

I don't care who it is.., whether it is Bush, Kerry, or the man on the moon.. I don't care if democrats or republicans.. The immigration issue is indeed an active issue of the present time and someone will eventually start debating on it (they already hint at something), maybe they will pass a new law giving us something and taking away from others ('give to receive', remember?!?), maybe not. Fact is, that the U.S.' immigration policy is worth discussing at any given time, day or night, but not only in this or other forums.., these are discussions needed to take place at much higher levels.

I wish you the best luck, Vegasboy.. Maybe we'll meet some day in the 'shadow' that we both share.. (I still wonder whether it is of any benefit to us to stay in this kind of shadow, protected from sweating in the sun, or come out and buy a $5 umbrella)

moondin:
    Sometimes 'shortcuts' are indeed proven to be longer.. I will buy a better map next time and NOT ask around for unqualified advice. A few years ago I got what I asked for, unqualified advice, and that is the main reason why I am where I am today. I did not deliberately choose this path in life. I would have done it right the first time, if I only knew more about it.
    Sometimes the roads to legalization are right, but the signs are misleading!

2 wrongs doesn't make it right. VegasBoy was guilty of being an illegals, but in reference with his run-in with the law, The boys in blue must've gotten stuck in a powertrip or something.

I feel for you Vegasguy. I was born in America, does that make me better than you or anyone who wants to live in this country to better their lives? The main problem in this world is people judging others. THere is only one judge of us all. Just because you were born 50'across a border you cannot come here? Its crazy. Unfortunately, there is not legal means for people to come here and stay here and they must remain illegal. I have been trying to help a friend get legal status for years. He is more appreciative and hard working and proud of America than any "american" I know. He pays taxes, works hard, helps everyone...why shouldn't he be able to stay here? He is trying to do it legally and would do anything if he could. Unfortunately, when we are out and people think we are a couple, you should see how people look and stare at us. (I am american, he is Mexican) I have seen people treat him terribly..just because he is not white or he shouldn't mix with us?? I don't get it.. He has been here 12 years, speaks English perfectly and is a productive member of society...and he appreciates the daily things we take for granted.. But he lives in fear and I hate to see this and he believes like Vegasguy he has to be treated this way..all he wants to do is cry freedom, like we can. Its a sad scenario many face...The judgemental Americans are the ones who should hang there heads, not our illegal immigrants. Hold your heads up high and keep trying.. i am not giving up on him.
    One question Vegasguy..what do you mean you have to go to Florida to get a drivers license?

>a border you cannot come here? Its crazy

It's crazy? It's called a BORDER for a reason.

Should we allow every Canadian and Mexican into our country *just because* they're next door? What about Cubans? They're only a few hundred miles away. What about Jamaicans? Would you be okay with everyone from Brazil moving into your neighbourhood?

Why not just call ourselves United States of Earth. Why even have a border or immigration policy then? I'm sure you'll be happy to support every human on this planet with your tax dollars.

We have immigration LAWS for a reason. It's when people BREAK them to serve their own interests, that we have to keep making them TOUGHER.

-= nav =-

gg--Everyone, everywhere, gets judged every day by other people: their bosses, friends, spouses, the people they pass on the street, their teachers or students, the credit bureau, and yes, the immigration authorities. It is a fact of life, and when someone violates the norms or rules in a society, he or she shouldn't be surprised that there are penalties.

Hi Vegasguy,

sooner or later it will work out. Your situation is not as bleak as you might be thinking right now! The way you were handled by the police is standard. It has nothing to do with being a 2nd class human or U.S. citizen, any suspect is dealed with that way; "guilty, untill proven innocent" keep in mind that a young guy with packages and some I.D. inconsistencies is suspicious after all. Law enforcement is aware of illegal aliens and presence, what they're concerned about is homeland security.

Phontom: you're wrong about IRRAIRA; it was entirely drafted and pushed through a Republican majority. President Clinton unfortunatly didn't have the political courage to go against it by vetoeing it, because there would have never been enough Democratic votes. Republicans would have easily gained their 2/3 re-vote for the vetoed bill.

The sentiments of Americans and legal foreingers are not in favor of illegals or out-of-status people for many factors. The presence of a large number of undocumented people is one such reason. The feeling that illegals are cutting lines infront of the ones that are doing it the right way, decreasing overall wages and a profound feelings of insecurity since Sept. 11th. are only a few others in this rather complex situation.

For instance, Vegasguy, since you are an enterpreneur, why don't you look into the investor's visa? All in all, there are no real hard feelings, no normal American sits at home and watches news with vicious thoughts of how to hurt illegals or others. We are a forgiving people and sooner or later justice will prevail! Good luck!