50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: expired travel permit/g.card issues

My parents, siblings and I immigrated to the US 4 yrs ago and got our green cards right away. My father however, left after getting his g.c. but took a travel permit with him which let him stay out of the US for 2 yrs while still letting him keep his g.c.
    Unfortunately, because of job related issues he was unable to get back to the US at the end of the 2 yr period and his travel permit expired. When he went to the US embassy to find out how he could go back now, first they told him to turn in his g.c. since he over stayed outside US and his g.c. status wasnt clear any more.
    Later he was told to file some paperwork n come back for an interview when called. He was allowed to keep his g.c. but was told that its no good for him any more.
    At the interview they denied his request for renewal of the travel permit; and even though he showed legal documents to prove why he was unable to go back to the States in the given time period, they told him that they cant find a way to let him go now, not even on a visit visa.
    However, they told him that his wife, i.e. my mother can petition for his parole from the US.
    Or, she could sponsor a new green card for him once she becomes a citizen herself (which she will become early next yr). That means a year plus the 6-12 months time for sponsorship.
    Now we'v been hearing that the parole idea might be faster (3-4 months) if the petition is approved.
    Please give any advice you have on this issue esp. if you know how this works...?
    What forms does my mother need to file for the parole ?
    Is it better to do this thru a lawyer ?

Help appreciated.
    Thanx.

My parents, siblings and I immigrated to the US 4 yrs ago and got our green cards right away. My father however, left after getting his g.c. but took a travel permit with him which let him stay out of the US for 2 yrs while still letting him keep his g.c.
    Unfortunately, because of job related issues he was unable to get back to the US at the end of the 2 yr period and his travel permit expired. When he went to the US embassy to find out how he could go back now, first they told him to turn in his g.c. since he over stayed outside US and his g.c. status wasnt clear any more.
    Later he was told to file some paperwork n come back for an interview when called. He was allowed to keep his g.c. but was told that its no good for him any more.
    At the interview they denied his request for renewal of the travel permit; and even though he showed legal documents to prove why he was unable to go back to the States in the given time period, they told him that they cant find a way to let him go now, not even on a visit visa.
    However, they told him that his wife, i.e. my mother can petition for his parole from the US.
    Or, she could sponsor a new green card for him once she becomes a citizen herself (which she will become early next yr). That means a year plus the 6-12 months time for sponsorship.
    Now we'v been hearing that the parole idea might be faster (3-4 months) if the petition is approved.
    Please give any advice you have on this issue esp. if you know how this works...?
    What forms does my mother need to file for the parole ?
    Is it better to do this thru a lawyer ?

Help appreciated.
    Thanx.

I guess I'm a bit confused. Does your father GC has been revoked? If thats the case, I don't think there's parole for it....and I don't know why they recommend parole. I don't know if there's any waiver or appeal process for losing one GC, but thats definitely different than parole.

well its not really revoked cuz he still has it with him, at least thats not the term they used, but he over stayed outside the US.
    They did tell him that my mom can apply for parole for him but I dont know what form that will be.

If the GC is not revoked Zara, then I can see why the consulate recommends Advance parole for permission to reenter the country. When you mentioned travel permit that allow your dad to stay outside the US for 2 years, do you refer to Advance Parole as well?

yes i think the travel permit is the same as advance parole but then again im not sure...

Hi - The GC holder applys for Re-entry permit that allows permanent resident to return to the US after an absence of more than a year. A Re-entry permit is valid for 2 years. Travel document called Advance Parole is for people who are waiting to adjust status and get GC.
    My guess is that the US embassy had your father apply for SB-1 or Returning resident visa. And that was denied.
    Maybe you or your father can call the embassy and ask them to explain what they meant by saying that your mother / his wife can petition for his parole.