free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Deportation and DV lottery

I have applied for the DV lottery and like many millions of othe people out there I am hopeful and waiting that my name or my wife's is going to be of the awarded with the possibility of LPR in the States. My question is: to what extent the fact that I have been deported once (six years ago) would affect my chances of LPR assuming that myself or my wife is awarded? Any comments and/or points of view would be appreciated.

I have applied for the DV lottery and like many millions of othe people out there I am hopeful and waiting that my name or my wife's is going to be of the awarded with the possibility of LPR in the States. My question is: to what extent the fact that I have been deported once (six years ago) would affect my chances of LPR assuming that myself or my wife is awarded? Any comments and/or points of view would be appreciated.

Where are you located now (country)?
    When have you departed?

Where he's located is moot. Your chances of being awarded won't be affected (its randomized computer program) but if you're awarded, anykind of bar thats currently in place and hasn't expired will prevent you from taking advantage of it. If the bar is expired, then you might have to file waiver to clear it first. Question is, are you under any bar whatsoever?
    Your wife should not be affected at all.

Currently I am in Canada. I left the States on my own about 6 years ago. No deportation orders issued against me or my wife or anything.

The whole thing happened when I was traveling from a third country to Canada through the US. The INS agent told me that I could not fly through the US and I wass then barred for five years.

No, it is important to know where he is now, if he stayed out of US for at least 5 years after deportation, if he was granted voluntary deportation (with no 10-20 year bar to readmission), or whether he illegally re-entered after deportation (would impose permanent (or 20 years?) bar to readmission) and etc.

Unless he gives more info, it's imossible to answer his question.

Where did INS agent tell you that? At US land/air POE? Did they send you back? How did you then get to Canada?
    Based on what Statute/Section of INA were you
    refused entry and banned for 5 years?

If you simply were refused entry and issued 5 year ban, and have not been in US for past 6 years then you should be allright.

If you're not deported, then why you said you've been deported 6 years ago?? Aihh.... you're right E, my bad for assuming anything....

I don't think your case even falls under VD. Did you simply just pack up and leave? Is there any proof of you leaving the country (plane ticket,etc?). Unless you can prove this, in USCIS eye you might still be considered acquiring illegal presence.

Might worth a FOIA request to see what type of bar USCIS has on you.

Yes, marmaduk, assuming everything that you don't know is your trademark.

Let's wait and see what OP says about his circumstances.

I was sent back to the country where I was flying from. All my explanations about where I was heading to, my tickets with me, my residency status in Canada. All my arguments fell in deaf ears. I had my tickets to Toronto and all that I wanted was "transit" status, while waiting for my connection flight from Chicago to Toronto.

I was put under INS guard until the time that they put me on a airplane and sent me back to the country I was flying from (same day). Everything paid by them.

I had to buy other airplane tickets straight to Toronto. I have never been or tried to go to the US since. Just waiting for the right time.