Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Please- How long can a Canadian stay in the US

Hi,
    I understand a Canadian can stay for up to six months as a visitor...How many days exactly is this 180 or 183? Also if one stays for 6 months can you return again to the US within the calendar year or have you 'used up' your allowed time?
    I'm asking re: an older Canadian couple who would like to spend as much time as possible with their son and young granddaughter who live in the US.
    I have tried calling US Immigration but couldn't get a 'straight' answer.
    Any info. would be very much appreciated- thank you.

Hi,
    I understand a Canadian can stay for up to six months as a visitor...How many days exactly is this 180 or 183? Also if one stays for 6 months can you return again to the US within the calendar year or have you 'used up' your allowed time?
    I'm asking re: an older Canadian couple who would like to spend as much time as possible with their son and young granddaughter who live in the US.
    I have tried calling US Immigration but couldn't get a 'straight' answer.
    Any info. would be very much appreciated- thank you.

Hi, my husband is from Canada & we were wondering the same thing. His parents wanted to come for an extended visit. I found this link on a website. Hope this helps.
    http://www.amcits.com/canada.asp
    And yes, you are correct - 6 months.
    Good luck.
    Clare

I am Canadian but a perm. resident here. You are allowed to stay here for 6 months at a time and from what I understand is that you could leave the country for even one full day and come back and stay another 6 months.

That may have been true shelly, but I wouldn't bank on them letting anyone back in the following day for another 6 months. A lot has changed at the borders from what I hear...
    My husband is a perm resident too. Did you remove your conditions yet?

Is their son USC or LPR or TN worker?

They would probably have no problem visiting their son at their will, but abusing the visitor status instead of immigrant visa could trigger the refusal by Border Agent to admit them in future.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shelly2020:
    I am Canadian but a perm. resident here. You are allowed to stay here for 6 months at a time and from what I understand is that you could leave the country for even one full day and come back and stay another 6 months. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are allowed to stay for maximum of 6 months at a time. But it does not mean that you have to stay for that much time. The visit visa or if you are from a VW country and entered as a visitor your intention must be a visitor not a permanent resident. And I am sure if you stay for six months and then come back again after a short period, say one month, you will not be allowed to enter. So before trying to attempt to re enter please check with some lawyer.

Lonely In USA.. Yes I have just recently removed my conditions.

Congratulations shelly! Hubby has just started the 90day period - we have 3 months (ish) to get the paperwork filed. What office did you file through and how long did it take from file to the interview - if you had one? It looks like Vermont is about 6 months behind...what a surprise LOL.

You really are suppose to have your papers file 90 days before your expiration date but I filed mine about 60 days before... I sent mine in to Nebraska and 1 or 2 weeks later I got my receipt notice which was in Aug. 2006.

I received my biometrics only a couple of days after the receipt notice and I had that completed I think at the end of Aug. After that I had waited almost a year before I got a notice to appear for an interview which was in May 07 and my appointment for the interview was July 07

Now you got to remember that my case was a little more complicated because I had divorced my ex husband. I am also remarried now and have a child.