50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Marriage Green Card Interview

I am a U.S. Citizen and my wife is applying for her green card through me. All the paperwork has been submitted and we are now up to the interview step.

The catch is, I work off the books. In all of the paperwork, I listed myself as having no job, because I could not prove that I had one. My wife has a job that meets the income requirements, and we have a sponsor on top of that. My fear, however, is that they will ask questions at the interview about why I am not working, and I don't know what I should say.

I want to tell the truth. This is a real marriage, and it seems unwise to lie at the interview. On the other hand, if I tell them I am working off the books, it might look very bad... after all, the purpose of this interview is to prove we aren't trying to scam the system.

What should I do?

I am a U.S. Citizen and my wife is applying for her green card through me. All the paperwork has been submitted and we are now up to the interview step.

The catch is, I work off the books. In all of the paperwork, I listed myself as having no job, because I could not prove that I had one. My wife has a job that meets the income requirements, and we have a sponsor on top of that. My fear, however, is that they will ask questions at the interview about why I am not working, and I don't know what I should say.

I want to tell the truth. This is a real marriage, and it seems unwise to lie at the interview. On the other hand, if I tell them I am working off the books, it might look very bad... after all, the purpose of this interview is to prove we aren't trying to scam the system.

What should I do?

As you are the sponser, you may be questioned. however the Co sponser is the supporting financial person that qualifies on the i-864. You both are on the hook for the alien being sponsered.

You dont have to lie about if you dont want.

Basically, You are self employed. You can declare your earnings on a schedule C and pay taxes.
    Of course you are responsible for social security and medicare taxes. Normally an employer would pay 1/2 and you would pay the other half. In your case being self employed , you will be responsible for both sides.

Open a seperate bank account and deposit all the money you make from your earnings into that account to keep track.

This is one way to come clean and start a life of honesty with the new marriage. You can discuss that you are working for your self at the interview and will be filing a tax return with your wife in the future showing your "new found profession".

Best wishes in your marriage and upcoming interview.

you are going straight to hell