publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Military member, expired LPR card, re-entry to U.S., help!!!

Greetings to everyone,

I am an active duty U.S. Marine but not yet an American Citizen. My LPR card expired just a couple months ago. I was planning on going to visit some family I have in Mexico but I'm worried I'll have problems coming back to the States with my expired status. Does anyone know if I'll be OK just by showing my military ID and leave papers? Any input would be greatly appreciated..

Thank You.

Greetings to everyone,

I am an active duty U.S. Marine but not yet an American Citizen. My LPR card expired just a couple months ago. I was planning on going to visit some family I have in Mexico but I'm worried I'll have problems coming back to the States with my expired status. Does anyone know if I'll be OK just by showing my military ID and leave papers? Any input would be greatly appreciated..

Thank You.

Quit the Marine then. This war is all wrong. Anyway, you can just show your driver license and military ID at the port of entry. Don't travel by air; better by land. Why have you not applied for citizenship? Those legal residents in the military can apply as US citizens after only 3 years.

Yeah, I was considering traveling by land, but its a very long drive (at least two days), I might just have to do that. And you're right, I'm about to apply for citizenship, Pres. Bush lowered the requirements to one year of service after Sept. 11th, but I've been so busy with deployments and all. But I'm ready to file my package any time now. Thanks for your reply macyuhoo.

Alex-P: Thank you for your service to America.

However, in order to return by air from Mexico, you will need both a passport from your country of origin and a valid Permanent Resident Card. Even to drive/walk through a port of entry would require a valid Permanent Resident Card.

Please DO NOT follow Macyuhoo's advice (or listen to his political diatribe). Only American citizens can show their driver license at a port of entry after walking/driving across the border.

A Permanent Resident must have a valid Permanent Resident Card to walk/drive through a port of entry...and a passport and valid Permanent Resident Card to enter the country by air.

I would suggest that you delay your visit to Mexico until you either renew your Permanent Resident Card or obtain American Citizenship.

You should be aware that, even though your Permanent Resident Card has expired, your status has NOT expired; you are still a Permanent Resident.

Once again, thank you for your service to America, and we look forward to you being an American citizen in the very near future.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alex-p:
    Greetings to everyone,

Thank You. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Re-apply for the Green Card via USCIS online using form I-90. It takes 90 days. You may also apply for the Advance Parole while the application is pending, also online by filing form I-131. You can use your military ID card to travel between the US and Mexico. Your military ID card can act as a passport if the Mexican gov't accepts that form of ID&gt; Good Luck.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Apply for the I-90 online, print the receipt and take it to your local district office (tell them you have to travel soon) and they'll put a stamp on your passport. I know three people who've done it. The last one was in October. Be sure to schedule an appointment.

I must admit these cases took place in Florida.

I would do that but I don't think I can submit the I-90 if I'm a Conditional Resident (2 year green card).

Alex: If your Conditional Resident Card has expired, have you already submitted I-751 to apply for the removal of conditions? You should have done this in the ninety-day period before the second anniversary of becoming a Conditional Resident.

Once you have submitted the I-751, USCIS will advise you - in writing - that your Conditional Residency has been extended (I believe that it is either for another year, or until a decision is made on the removal of conditions). With this written notification from USCIS, you are able to travel with your expired Permanent Resident Card and the notice of extension from USCIS.

If you haven't yet submitted I-751 to USCIS, you need to do so immediately. They may not accept a late I-751, so you will need to have a VERY good reason for the late submission. My guess is that military service and deployments would count as such.

You are correct that with a Conditional Residency, you cannot submit I-90.

One more point: you need also to submit your application for Citizenship, as you are eligible due to your military service.

You are safe because you're a green card holder. Those illegal aliens who managed to enter the military service have more trouble applying for citizenship since they cannot jump from illegal to being citizens. Yes, there are illegals even in the military.