publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: young female engaged to out of status hispanic-- in tears in need of help and support

Hi everyone! I am a 22 year old female in Texas engaged to an out of status el salvadorian. I know i am just one of many young engaged people on this website with this situation with a million questions, but it is a "*****tale" story that happened when we met eachother. it has a very confusing twist for us. I need help!!!! Please read and then see if you can help answer some questions on the bottom for me. any advice on how we can live happily ever after will definately help.

I met a guy last summer at work. I never thought it would happen, but we are very much in love and we are engaged. He is 19 and I am barely 22. He is from El Salvador. he came here when he was 16 in january '02. His family made him come here and he had no choice. His dad came first to work and then him, his mom and 2 sisters after. My fiance has a visa and a passport that he used to come here and he never went back to El Salvador like he was supposed to.He couldn't because he has no family down there to stay with and his dad wont go with him. I think his passport and visa were good for 2 months. He wanted to go back to get the right stuff to come back here and live, but his dad wouldn't let him. He's stuck.

He has attended High School and will graduate in may. Very good student with dreams to go to college to become a graphic designer. He learned english and is doing very well and I know he will be a great citizen someday.

When I first met him we were working together. I am a manager where we worked. Right after we started dating, I looked in the email one night to check something, and I found an email with his name on it from the corporate office saying that he was going to be terminated because his ss# is invalid. I thought, "What???!" then he told me that the social security number he used to get the job is fake. He was very ashamed but thats all he said he could do to work. I was heartbroken because I know it is hard for young people like him just trying to live here. I was also worried about losing him. But everything has to be done the right way, to be here, i know.

So he lost his job. And we are very much in love. It's hard paying for him every time we go out but I don't mind. its just hard because i am a broke college student. It has to change. He hates it too.

Here he is. 19 years old. 20 in april. Good student trying hard in school and doing well. fluent in english in just two years.. no drivers license.. no social security.. just an expired visa and an expired passport. He came here legally.

and he just got a ticket for going through a red light. Luckily the cop didnt find out his situation somehow.. just gave him a ticket for running red light and no drivers license.

I know people hear these stories all the time but we really love eachother and we are going to get married. we found a place here in town specializing in immigration counseling to help him see where he needs to start. I thought we would get some kind of good news, but i left the place crying. The lady said that before we get married, he needs to go to El Salvador to get another visa. it will last for 3 months. I have to go down there and get him, bring him back here, and in that time we have to get married. (the 3 mos) Does that make any sense?? i read everywhere NOT TO LEAVE THE COUNTRY or else they have to stay there for 10 years.

so,

(remember he still has PROOF of who he is, but they are both expired passport and visa)

1. when a us citizen marries an out of status el salvadorian, doesnt the immigrant just get their documents easily? people at work say it is but the lady we talked to said he has to go back home.

2. we are NOT at all ready for a wedding now. I am still in college and he is in school too. But until that day comes, what, if anything, can he do to get a job to start saving money? besides jobs like mowing lawns, heh..

3. is there any way he can notify the state of his situation and show that he, at 19, is taking responsibility to get his documents and they can help him get some kind of a job letting the employeer know his situation?

4. is there a way to get an ID or get a drivers license or would that have to wait until after getting married?

5. what all is involved in him getting a ss# or is that also involved with him tying the knot with me?

6. the lady he spoke to said that the age in his situation of being an adult was when he was 18 and that he should have gotten his situation taken care of when he was 19.. I thought it was 21 before you are not considered a minor anymore in this situation.

7. willl he benefit at all from the extension of stay here in the US because of the earthquakes in 2002 in el salvador.

8. his dad is here legally, on a work permit, what can he do for my fiance?

9. what can my fiance do right now--- or is it just completely impossible to get some legal documents going? is the ONLYYYY way for him to marry me? it would be a little bit of a relief if he could at least get a job from now until we want to finally have a wedding.

10. even though his documents he used when he came here are expired now, isn't that a plus that he came here legally at 16 and not illegally? will this help him in getting his documents to work and get ss#? will him coming here to the us with a visa and a passport help him get started with some kind of hope?

11. he drives with no license his dads car. he has to do that to get to school and take his mom to work. he has no other choice. so if he gets stopped again by a cop for a traffic violation, can that lead to him getting deported? it happened to someone else i barely knew, but i am sure there were other things involved in him getting deported.

I know i sound like a complete dummy, but this is so confusing and there are so many different situations and laws and stuff.... blahhh... but please write me and thank you so much for reading this situation. I love you all for being so helpful. : )

-Eileen

Hi everyone! I am a 22 year old female in Texas engaged to an out of status el salvadorian. I know i am just one of many young engaged people on this website with this situation with a million questions, but it is a "*****tale" story that happened when we met eachother. it has a very confusing twist for us. I need help!!!! Please read and then see if you can help answer some questions on the bottom for me. any advice on how we can live happily ever after will definately help.

I met a guy last summer at work. I never thought it would happen, but we are very much in love and we are engaged. He is 19 and I am barely 22. He is from El Salvador. he came here when he was 16 in january '02. His family made him come here and he had no choice. His dad came first to work and then him, his mom and 2 sisters after. My fiance has a visa and a passport that he used to come here and he never went back to El Salvador like he was supposed to.He couldn't because he has no family down there to stay with and his dad wont go with him. I think his passport and visa were good for 2 months. He wanted to go back to get the right stuff to come back here and live, but his dad wouldn't let him. He's stuck.

He has attended High School and will graduate in may. Very good student with dreams to go to college to become a graphic designer. He learned english and is doing very well and I know he will be a great citizen someday.

When I first met him we were working together. I am a manager where we worked. Right after we started dating, I looked in the email one night to check something, and I found an email with his name on it from the corporate office saying that he was going to be terminated because his ss# is invalid. I thought, "What???!" then he told me that the social security number he used to get the job is fake. He was very ashamed but thats all he said he could do to work. I was heartbroken because I know it is hard for young people like him just trying to live here. I was also worried about losing him. But everything has to be done the right way, to be here, i know.

So he lost his job. And we are very much in love. It's hard paying for him every time we go out but I don't mind. its just hard because i am a broke college student. It has to change. He hates it too.

Here he is. 19 years old. 20 in april. Good student trying hard in school and doing well. fluent in english in just two years.. no drivers license.. no social security.. just an expired visa and an expired passport. He came here legally.

and he just got a ticket for going through a red light. Luckily the cop didnt find out his situation somehow.. just gave him a ticket for running red light and no drivers license.

I know people hear these stories all the time but we really love eachother and we are going to get married. we found a place here in town specializing in immigration counseling to help him see where he needs to start. I thought we would get some kind of good news, but i left the place crying. The lady said that before we get married, he needs to go to El Salvador to get another visa. it will last for 3 months. I have to go down there and get him, bring him back here, and in that time we have to get married. (the 3 mos) Does that make any sense?? i read everywhere NOT TO LEAVE THE COUNTRY or else they have to stay there for 10 years.

so,

(remember he still has PROOF of who he is, but they are both expired passport and visa)

1. when a us citizen marries an out of status el salvadorian, doesnt the immigrant just get their documents easily? people at work say it is but the lady we talked to said he has to go back home.

2. we are NOT at all ready for a wedding now. I am still in college and he is in school too. But until that day comes, what, if anything, can he do to get a job to start saving money? besides jobs like mowing lawns, heh..

3. is there any way he can notify the state of his situation and show that he, at 19, is taking responsibility to get his documents and they can help him get some kind of a job letting the employeer know his situation?

4. is there a way to get an ID or get a drivers license or would that have to wait until after getting married?

5. what all is involved in him getting a ss# or is that also involved with him tying the knot with me?

6. the lady he spoke to said that the age in his situation of being an adult was when he was 18 and that he should have gotten his situation taken care of when he was 19.. I thought it was 21 before you are not considered a minor anymore in this situation.

7. willl he benefit at all from the extension of stay here in the US because of the earthquakes in 2002 in el salvador.

9. what can my fiance do right now--- or is it just completely impossible to get some legal documents going? is the ONLYYYY way for him to marry me? it would be a little bit of a relief if he could at least get a job from now until we want to finally have a wedding.

10. even though his documents he used when he came here are expired now, isn't that a plus that he came here legally at 16 and not illegally? will this help him in getting his documents to work and get ss#? will him coming here to the us with a visa and a passport help him get started with some kind of hope?

11. he drives with no license his dads car. he has to do that to get to school and take his mom to work. he has no other choice. so if he gets stopped again by a cop for a traffic violation, can that lead to him getting deported? it happened to someone else i barely knew, but i am sure there were other things involved in him getting deported.

I know i sound like a complete dummy, but this is so confusing and there are so many different situations and laws and stuff.... blahhh... but please write me and thank you so much for reading this situation. I love you all for being so helpful. : )

-Eileen

Michael
    - If he entered legally then it is easy; but the fact that he worked illegally and committed identity fraud is a problem; if he entered illegally (without inspection) he has to go back and apply that way; even that is not a big deal

- No; he makes the situation worse by continuing to work illegally; once married and with the proper authorization he can work; you are obviously not ready to marry anybody; you are involved with a criminal who has committed identity fraud and immigration fraud

- The state does not confer immigration benefits; the USCIS does; maturity or whatever is irrelevent

- Youmust wait until after marriage and getting residency; taking shortcuts makes matters worse

- Also involved in "tying the knot"; he has to be a resident

- Entirely irrelevent

- Uhhh no; why do you bring up such irrelevent matters? The US has earthquakes too; what does that have to do with anything? Do you smoke marijuana?

- Give him money?

- He should leave the country; you can apply for a fiance visa or marry here and adjust status

- At least by coming legally he will have the option of adjusting status without a 10 year bar

- He should not drive without a license for legal and moral reasons; if he injures someone, how will that person get compensated?

1. You should not marry this man; he is illegal, has committed document fraud, identity fraud and drives illegally; he is a desperado and you love the bad boy, not the man

2. Men from Central and South America; men from Spanish speaking countries in general, are liars and cheaters and have an overly grand opinion of themselves; father children with multiple women and cheat on their wives; they make poor husbands

3. You should find yourself a nice gringo man about twice your age to love; he will be a better husband and father and forget the desperado

Michael,

You had me wondering for a while, if it could be that you'd rounded the corner, until I reached points 1, 2 and 3.

However, I see distinct improvement. Keep up the "good" work.

Sweetijujy, please pay no attention to points 1, 2 and 3 at the end of Michael's post. He likes to start off the week with a bang.

I can't beleive how those ILLEGAL BASDARDS commit such treacherous acts of deceite and violate the immigration laws and still get people on their side willing to help them get away with it!

Sweetjujy, if you stay with this guy you are a TRAITOR!
    Send the basdard back home, right where he came from!
    Those ****ers, they all come here like cry-babies, trying to win our support and sympathy by making up all those 'horroble stories', those liars are always abusing our generosity and kindness of our heart!
    But there are no fools here!!
    Not anymore!!

Everyone!
    Let's unite our efforts in deporting EVERY SINGLE ILLEGAL ALIEN from our country!!

If you see or know ANY ILLEGAL ALIEN contact your local law enforcement agency and have those people put on the list!!

It should be the duty of the moderator of this site to collect the IP addresses of those who are admittedly here ILLEGALLY and pass that information to law enforcement agencies as well.

ILLEGALS!!! OUT OF AMERICA,NOW!!!!

If he entered the US with a visa and overstayed, the only way for him to gain residency is through marriage with a US citizen. He doesnt need to go back to his country. He can adjust his status here.

He wont be able to fix his situation before the wedding. And even after the wedding you will have to file forms, pay fees and wait for a while before he gets an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) and a Social Security number. There is nothing he can do before that.

Driving without license is ilegal, no matter what reason (everybody would give a reason, otherwise). He was lucky the first time but he indeed can be caught and deported. I suggest he doesnt do it again.

He is 19 now (almost 20) so forget the "he didnt want, they made him do it" argument. He came as a minor so all his overstay time as a minor is usually forgiven. But the minute he tunred 18 he had the choice of leaving the US and he didnt. He is the one who decieded to use a fake ss number. He chose to drive without a license. At 18, he is legally responsible for his actions so stop blaming his parents.

There is nothing he can do in the meantime. INS doesnt take into consideration sentimental stuff of "special circumstances". I doesnt matter if the is a great guy who wants to go to college of if there was an Earthquake in his country 3 years ago. The law is the law and you apply it to everyone the same.

Good luck.

Thanks for your help and good answers.

But to answer Michael's question about "why do you bring up such irrelevent matters? The US has earthquakes too; what does that have to do with anything? Do you smoke marijuana?"

Irrelevent? What does smoking marijuana have to do with a completely legit question? By the way... the answer is NO to that one.

President George W. Bush today announced that Salvadorans residing in the United States have been granted Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for a period of 18 months. Eligible Salvadorans will not be removed and can apply for permission to work in the United States during the designated period. The TPS designation is part of ongoing efforts by the United States to assist El Salvador in recovering from devastating earthquakes.

And... your last comment.. "You should find yourself a nice gringo man about twice your age to love; he will be a better husband and father and forget the desperado". Oh OK... just because they are a "gringo" makes them perfect marriage material huh? An old saying for you.. "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt". I was impressed with your intelligence until that last comment.

Sorry but this is an emotional time as is the same case for many seeking help on this site and comments such as that really belong somewhere else.

Look at the following link:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/publicaffa...2005_01_06.pdf

The 18-month extention is for those who have been already grantes TPS, not for any Salvadorian. Did your boyfriend come to the US through TPS?

Those elegible have to re-register. Their EAD (they already have a work permit) will be automatically extended for 6 months because it is valid until March 9, 2005. Does your boyfriend have a EAD?

One question, if your boyfriend's father came to US through TPS (I am assuming that because you said he is legal and working), why didnt your boyfriend come the same way (you said he used a turist visa?).

Sweet Ju

You dont have to be heartbroken over this. I dont know what Immigration counseling group you went to but they gave you bad information. Your problems are not complicated. As long as he came into this country and was inspected and paraoled by the INs, he can adjust his status when you guys get married. Tell him to stop getting driving violations, and not to work with a fake Social Security #.
    If you need help as to how to get this done, contact me at oklaw1@netzero.com. I can counsel you on how to get it done.