free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CANNON CRUSHES JACOB

HAHAHAHAH YES!! THANK YOU LORD JESUS CHRIST..THANK YOU...I TELL YOU WHAT, I WAS PRAYING FOR THIS ONE..THIS ONE IS SOO HUGE, SPECIALLY THE FACT CANNON CRUSHED HIM AND THE VOTE WASNT CLOSE.
    ------------------

By Bob Bernick Jr.
    Deseret Morning News

U.S. Rep. Chris Cannon dodged another political bullet Tuesday, winning the Republican Party's nomination for the 3rd Congressional District, late returns of the 2006 primary election showed.

Cannon withstood his greatest intra-party challenge yet, coming this year from John Jacob, a millionaire who pumped more than $400,000 into his effort to unseat the five-term incumbent.
    Cannon won 56-44 percent.
    In the end, Cannon crushed Jacob and all of his money " a victory near in size to Cannon's 2004 Republican primary win over former state Rep. Matt Throckmorton. And Throckmorton spent a fraction of what Jacob did.
    Cannon now faces Democrat Christian Burridge of South Jordan in the heavily Republican district, which takes in western Salt Lake County, most of Utah County and several counties to the south.

While some votes remained to be counted, Cannon took an early lead, and he never looked back, holding roughly the same winning margin as results of more precincts came in.

Across the state, voter turnout depended on whether local races captured citizens' interest. Turnout was low in Salt Lake County, at just around 7 percent.

Voters had been using the new electronic voting machines for two weeks " taking advantage of the new early voting law. Several county clerks and Lt.

Gov. Gary Herbert, the state election officer, all reported Tuesday the machines and poll judges performed well during the first full day of use

As in Cannon's 2004 GOP primary victory, immigration was a key issue this Republican race as well. Cannon, R-Utah, is basically a backer of President Bush's immigration policy, which includes a guest-worker program. Jacob drew a hard line and got anti-illegal-immigration support from a number of quarters, including independent radio ads run by the conservative Team America political action committee.
    "Things are looking very good," Cannon said late Tuesday, just before Jacob called him to concede the race.
    Cannon said he hopes that should he win re-election in November, come 2008 the immigration issue will be settled and he won't find another "anti-immigration candidate" running against him within the Republican Party.
    "We can solve this issue," he said. "Eighty percent of the American people want a reasonable solution."
    Cannon said that most 3rd District voters never got to know Jacob. "And I believe I did get a ***p when President and Laura Bush endorsed me " it was a high point in my campaign."
    Jacob said, "It's hard to beat an incumbent " I had to beat (President Bush), too."
    Jacob will not run against Cannon again. "I've done that. Chris is what the people want " they support his immigration policies."
    But Jacob said he will seek public office again. "Yeah, this is just the beginning. The president owes me one " and I'm hoping he'll endorse me" when Jacob seeks another high office.

Jacob said, ultimately, he didn't run a good enough campaign. "I didn't do it right."
    He added that Cannon had made a number of promises, especially about being tough on illegal immigrants. "I hope the commitments made will be kept " we'll be watching for that." Jacob had said previously that he would support Cannon should he win the GOP nomination. "I'll even help him raise money for the final election."

Michael Clara, spokesman for the Utah Hispanic Legislative Task Force, said Cannon's victory reaffirms support for Bush's immigration proposal.

"It says more about Cannon, he travels the path of the rational middle ground President Bush has been talking about," Clara said. "It's an indication of what's going to happen across the nation."

While the 3rd District was the high-profile race Tuesday, a number of legislative and county intra-party contests were also decided.
    Salt Lake County Sheriff Aaron Kennard was coasting to victory over Brent Cardall, partial results showed.

And in a couple of tough Republican contests, the Legislature will lose four incumbents.

Longtime Rep. Dave Ure, R-Kamas, lost to newcomer Kevin Van Tassell in Ure's attempt to jump up to the Senate. Ure, who barely lost two recent elections to be speaker of the House, had geography against him. Senate District 26 is based in Uintah Basin, and Ure was running from the far eastern edge of the district. Van Tassell is a Zions Bank branch manager in Vernal.

Sen. David Thomas, R-South Weber, lost to Ogden's police chief, Jon Greiner, in Senate District 18. Greiner had 54 percent of the vote.
    Rep. Jim Ferrin, R-Orem, was beaten by Stephen Sandstrom in a race that saw the incumbent greatly criticized over conflicts of interest in Ferrin's charter school financing/construction businesses.

Rep. Peggy Wallace, R-West Jordan, lost by a slim 24 votes to fellow Republican Jim Bird. Wallace had been criticized publicly for sponsoring several unpopular bills, including one that would have done away with Utah's no-fault divorce law.

Rep. Sheryl Allen, R-Bountiful, won easily. Allen, who directs the Davis School District's foundation, was again challenged from the right of the Republican Party by Mark Jacobs.

Two themes of recent legislative races played out again this primary: the reoccurring banks-versus-credit union spat and the ongoing battle between a pro-school choice group fighting it out with public education supporters, like the Utah Education Association, the main teacher union in the state.

HAHAHAHAH YES!! THANK YOU LORD JESUS CHRIST..THANK YOU...I TELL YOU WHAT, I WAS PRAYING FOR THIS ONE..THIS ONE IS SOO HUGE, SPECIALLY THE FACT CANNON CRUSHED HIM AND THE VOTE WASNT CLOSE.
    ------------------

By Bob Bernick Jr.
    Deseret Morning News

U.S. Rep. Chris Cannon dodged another political bullet Tuesday, winning the Republican Party's nomination for the 3rd Congressional District, late returns of the 2006 primary election showed.

Cannon withstood his greatest intra-party challenge yet, coming this year from John Jacob, a millionaire who pumped more than $400,000 into his effort to unseat the five-term incumbent.
    Cannon won 56-44 percent.
    In the end, Cannon crushed Jacob and all of his money " a victory near in size to Cannon's 2004 Republican primary win over former state Rep. Matt Throckmorton. And Throckmorton spent a fraction of what Jacob did.
    Cannon now faces Democrat Christian Burridge of South Jordan in the heavily Republican district, which takes in western Salt Lake County, most of Utah County and several counties to the south.

While some votes remained to be counted, Cannon took an early lead, and he never looked back, holding roughly the same winning margin as results of more precincts came in.

Across the state, voter turnout depended on whether local races captured citizens' interest. Turnout was low in Salt Lake County, at just around 7 percent.

Voters had been using the new electronic voting machines for two weeks " taking advantage of the new early voting law. Several county clerks and Lt.

Gov. Gary Herbert, the state election officer, all reported Tuesday the machines and poll judges performed well during the first full day of use

As in Cannon's 2004 GOP primary victory, immigration was a key issue this Republican race as well. Cannon, R-Utah, is basically a backer of President Bush's immigration policy, which includes a guest-worker program. Jacob drew a hard line and got anti-illegal-immigration support from a number of quarters, including independent radio ads run by the conservative Team America political action committee.
    "Things are looking very good," Cannon said late Tuesday, just before Jacob called him to concede the race.
    Cannon said he hopes that should he win re-election in November, come 2008 the immigration issue will be settled and he won't find another "anti-immigration candidate" running against him within the Republican Party.
    "We can solve this issue," he said. "Eighty percent of the American people want a reasonable solution."
    Cannon said that most 3rd District voters never got to know Jacob. "And I believe I did get a ***p when President and Laura Bush endorsed me " it was a high point in my campaign."
    Jacob said, "It's hard to beat an incumbent " I had to beat (President Bush), too."
    Jacob will not run against Cannon again. "I've done that. Chris is what the people want " they support his immigration policies."
    But Jacob said he will seek public office again. "Yeah, this is just the beginning. The president owes me one " and I'm hoping he'll endorse me" when Jacob seeks another high office.

Jacob said, ultimately, he didn't run a good enough campaign. "I didn't do it right."
    He added that Cannon had made a number of promises, especially about being tough on illegal immigrants. "I hope the commitments made will be kept " we'll be watching for that." Jacob had said previously that he would support Cannon should he win the GOP nomination. "I'll even help him raise money for the final election."

Michael Clara, spokesman for the Utah Hispanic Legislative Task Force, said Cannon's victory reaffirms support for Bush's immigration proposal.

"It says more about Cannon, he travels the path of the rational middle ground President Bush has been talking about," Clara said. "It's an indication of what's going to happen across the nation."

While the 3rd District was the high-profile race Tuesday, a number of legislative and county intra-party contests were also decided.
    Salt Lake County Sheriff Aaron Kennard was coasting to victory over Brent Cardall, partial results showed.

And in a couple of tough Republican contests, the Legislature will lose four incumbents.

Longtime Rep. Dave Ure, R-Kamas, lost to newcomer Kevin Van Tassell in Ure's attempt to jump up to the Senate. Ure, who barely lost two recent elections to be speaker of the House, had geography against him. Senate District 26 is based in Uintah Basin, and Ure was running from the far eastern edge of the district. Van Tassell is a Zions Bank branch manager in Vernal.

Sen. David Thomas, R-South Weber, lost to Ogden's police chief, Jon Greiner, in Senate District 18. Greiner had 54 percent of the vote.
    Rep. Jim Ferrin, R-Orem, was beaten by Stephen Sandstrom in a race that saw the incumbent greatly criticized over conflicts of interest in Ferrin's charter school financing/construction businesses.

Rep. Peggy Wallace, R-West Jordan, lost by a slim 24 votes to fellow Republican Jim Bird. Wallace had been criticized publicly for sponsoring several unpopular bills, including one that would have done away with Utah's no-fault divorce law.

Rep. Sheryl Allen, R-Bountiful, won easily. Allen, who directs the Davis School District's foundation, was again challenged from the right of the Republican Party by Mark Jacobs.

Two themes of recent legislative races played out again this primary: the reoccurring banks-versus-credit union spat and the ongoing battle between a pro-school choice group fighting it out with public education supporters, like the Utah Education Association, the main teacher union in the state.

OH JESUS CHRIST.LORDY LORD..WE'VE DONE IT...

NOW, WE CAN USE CANNON VICTORY AND USE IT IN OUR FAVOR BY TELLING THOSE HARD LINERS THAT RUNNING IN OPPOSITION TO THE PRESIDENT WONT BE A GOOD IDEA.

During the campaign, Cannon often appealed to voters saying, "racism and xenophobia are not Republican virtues." Effective immigration reform will require patience and reason, he said.

CHRIS CANNON GETS IT..THE PEOPLE OF UTAH GETS IT...IM SO PROUD OF CANNON FOR STANDING HIS GROUND AND NOT BUDGING ON COMPREHENSIVE IMMIGRATION REFORM INSTEAD OF XENOPHOBIC REFORMS.

ONE MESSAGE TO OTHER LAWMAKERS..YOU BETTER GET IN PRESIDENT BUSH BANGWAGON AND DONT EXPECT IMMIGRATION TO BE A SAVER.

great news guy, this is the time to push ahead people.

You still do not understand that it rests in the hands of the American people!! This is way bigger than u think!! The American people welcome immgrants. We do not want illegal criminals!! I think u r fogetting this!!

Let's see now. A 10-year incumbent is in a run-off primary for the nomination of his party, and wins 55 percent - 45 percent against an outsider whose main plank is immigration reform. By the way, Cannon won his 2004 ELECTION against a Democrat with 61 percent, presumably all Republicans. If the primary is a projection of the fall results, he's going downhill. Then, there's the fact that to win he not only had the President and First Lady making calls for him in a district that still highly favors Bush, and that he had lots of out-of-state money from illegal immigration supporters. Yes, this is a real mandate all right--NOT.

Call it whatever u want. Its a win so **** it up.

I just wonder how come FAIR has not said anything about Cannon-Jacob yet. Can't they admit the fact that they were defeated fair and square? This race was all about Enforcement-only vs GWP/Amnesty. I hate those racist from FAIR. When a republican won the elections in California over a democrat in district with majority republicans they posed "THE AMERICAN PEOPLE ARE WITH US - ENFORCEMENT ONLY IS THE ONLY WAY". Now they are quiet.... It looks like even the conservative base is not with them. A win with near 10% difference among conservatives with a single difference - immigration. I can't imagine what may happen when we factor in the more liberal base. It looks like the Republicans have their last months counted is the house as a majority. Said but true...

Aliba, They don't understand. We the American people will have the final say!! Almost EVERY poll out there shows that Americans want these illegal alien criminals out of the country!! And everyday it is getting stronger. Those parades through downtown major cities were a wake up call for the American people!! When the Mexicans showed thier A*S*S with those mexican flags!!