50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: So many issues - please help!

1. I got conflicting answers on this issue from different lawyers.

I am in green card pending status (I-485). I have got EAD. My employer just submitted application for H1-B extension for me. If I travel outside US and come back using advanced parole before H1-B application is approved, will the application still be valid? In general, if H1-B holder reenters US using advanced parole, can H1-B status be kept?

2. My husband submitted green card application (I-140, I-485, I-131, I-765) through outstanding researcher category in July 2003. We received EAD cards a couple of months later, but haven't received anything related to I-485 and AP, not even receipts. Through USCIS website, we saw our AP were approved and mailed out in December 2003. But neither of us received the mail, although we used different addresses. Our local post offices couldn't offer any help to track down the mails, since there were no tracking numbers. Our lawyer wrote to USCIS officer, but only got the answer that since the mails were not returned, they wouldn't take any further action. During the meantime, my father in law had life-threatening health condition in China, and my husband was desperate to visit him. We went to CIS Boston local office to try to get AP in person on the same day. Unfortunately, that office's new policy is that they no longer process AP applications from February this year. Unable to get anything out of that application, we submitted a fresh application for AP this March. We haven't heard anything since then, except for my bank told me the checks were cleared on March 22. We don't know what else to do, where to complain, and where to look for help. Hope you can shed light.

1. I got conflicting answers on this issue from different lawyers.

I am in green card pending status (I-485). I have got EAD. My employer just submitted application for H1-B extension for me. If I travel outside US and come back using advanced parole before H1-B application is approved, will the application still be valid? In general, if H1-B holder reenters US using advanced parole, can H1-B status be kept?

2. My husband submitted green card application (I-140, I-485, I-131, I-765) through outstanding researcher category in July 2003. We received EAD cards a couple of months later, but haven't received anything related to I-485 and AP, not even receipts. Through USCIS website, we saw our AP were approved and mailed out in December 2003. But neither of us received the mail, although we used different addresses. Our local post offices couldn't offer any help to track down the mails, since there were no tracking numbers. Our lawyer wrote to USCIS officer, but only got the answer that since the mails were not returned, they wouldn't take any further action. During the meantime, my father in law had life-threatening health condition in China, and my husband was desperate to visit him. We went to CIS Boston local office to try to get AP in person on the same day. Unfortunately, that office's new policy is that they no longer process AP applications from February this year. Unable to get anything out of that application, we submitted a fresh application for AP this March. We haven't heard anything since then, except for my bank told me the checks were cleared on March 22. We don't know what else to do, where to complain, and where to look for help. Hope you can shed light.

1) Yes, use of AP doesnt nullify current H1-B as long as you continue working for the same employer.

2) Call the 1-800 number and bypass the mostly useless first line of personel and ask for IIO. There's more at stake here since USCIS might lost the entire I-485 alltogether, since you have not receive any receipt whatsoever. The IIO can query the system and pull the information whether the I-485 & I-131 is on due process or not. If they do have it on file, and 90days has pass, you can try to get Emergency AP from the local office.

Marmaduk, thanks so much for your response. We will do what you suggested. But the most frustrating thing so far is our Boston local office no longer processes AP, not even for family emergency case. My only hope is with the IIO at the service center. This is the onlly thing we haven't tried yet.