50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: old greencard

arrived on 90 day waiver programme, had old greencard ,but was not in country for 9 yrs, will they know ive not been back or is it down to me to notify them, as no stamp to say ive ever left u.s, got same old ssn# back no problem, will they no if i stay in u.s because i came in on waver and obviously havent left, what will be the likly outcome of me working using old greencard and ssn# ,,, how do they no unless you tell them you havent been in the u.s?? dont want to break the law as i am married to a legal resident and would like to be able to come back and forth untill im leagle agian if possible

arrived on 90 day waiver programme, had old greencard ,but was not in country for 9 yrs, will they know ive not been back or is it down to me to notify them, as no stamp to say ive ever left u.s, got same old ssn# back no problem, will they no if i stay in u.s because i came in on waver and obviously havent left, what will be the likly outcome of me working using old greencard and ssn# ,,, how do they no unless you tell them you havent been in the u.s?? dont want to break the law as i am married to a legal resident and would like to be able to come back and forth untill im leagle agian if possible

Michelle, you didn't reply to our posts on your other thread.

Like Miki said, if you are a girl married to a girl, you can't do anything to get a green card. The INS does not recognise same sex marriages.
    We're a little confused about that.

Even if you are married to someone of the opposite sex, you wouldn't be able to adjust since you came on the VWP. The only exception I see on the INS webpage about adjusting from a VWP is when you are the immediate relative of a USC, spouse, children under 21, parents... not of a permanent resident.

I'm not sure about having been gone for so long. I'm trying to look for that.

iam a male just using my wifes computer ! and didnt change the name, did reply yesterday but message did not go thru ?
    anyway ive looked everywere for info on greencards , and cant find any info on wheather or how they know if youve been out for so long other than the expirie date on greencard and if you tell them how long youve been out upon arrivivg back without the knolwlegde of the re entry laws, you obviously drop yourself right in it!! my greecard has no expiry date on it as it was issued between 1984 - 1989 when these laws werent around, ( i.e 10 yr expiry ) and have been told by ins that i do not need to renew untill they get round to these older cards. like i siad my ssn# came back to me with no restrictions on it as i needed a replacement due to the condition of it,i asked a lawyer about this and they siad you are more than likely still coming up on the system as aleagal resident ,as you can see im really confused as what to do ? can my wife sponser me being a resisdent ,just to stay untill she becomes a citizen on the waiver programme as ive read this is possible, with the v visa or are my chances of being legally here on my greencard as ive not told or handed in my residency at any time and have no stamp to say when i left the u.s, concern is will the waiver stamp cause problems later on if i did stay on my old greencard due to me not leaving on the waiver ??? sorry for rambling on but its all a bit to confusing ansd my time is running out on waiver-- my brother is a u.s citczen if all the above fail can he sponser me to stay with my wife ?? thanks again for any information to do it leagally

I looked too and I couldn't find anything.

You could call or go to the INS office and find out.

Yeah your wife can petition you but it will go faster if she is a USC. If your green card isn't good anymore, you could apply and then have it upgraded once she becomes a USC.

Just go and ask the INS. I didn't find the answer

Let me know what you find out tho.