50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Change of Address

When an alien moves and has a pending petition with a Service Center he should do the following:

[1] File AR-11 [this although it is ridiculous does not update your address in their systems] to comply with the law, mail it certified mail.

[2] Send a Certified Letter, with your A#, Receipt Number, DOB, SSN, OLD ADDRESS and NEW ADDRESS, to the Service Center and Local office handleling your case, for example I sent a letter to VSC and another one to Newark.

[3] Call the Misinformation line [USCIS 1-800] and request to the representative to change your address and they would sent this information electronically to the Service Center.

After doing all of this, you MIGHT get the address updated, and you may or may not get confirmation of it. But it is your responsability to keep the return receipts from certified mailing to prove that you report it.

anyone can tell me if this information is correct?

When an alien moves and has a pending petition with a Service Center he should do the following:

[1] File AR-11 [this although it is ridiculous does not update your address in their systems] to comply with the law, mail it certified mail.

[2] Send a Certified Letter, with your A#, Receipt Number, DOB, SSN, OLD ADDRESS and NEW ADDRESS, to the Service Center and Local office handleling your case, for example I sent a letter to VSC and another one to Newark.

[3] Call the Misinformation line [USCIS 1-800] and request to the representative to change your address and they would sent this information electronically to the Service Center.

After doing all of this, you MIGHT get the address updated, and you may or may not get confirmation of it. But it is your responsability to keep the return receipts from certified mailing to prove that you report it.

anyone can tell me if this information is correct?

That sounds about right. I am currently sending my third letter to request my file get transferred. Some people have no problems and others do. I guess that is the true beauty of the BCIS...you never know what luck you will get.

Dejavult:

You have just copy and paste one my posts... withoug my authorization! I will sue you for copyright infrigment!

So it must be pure wisdom then right Aguila...

Dejavultd: You have it correct... They opened a deluge of Change of Address filing 2 yrs ago after 9-11 and I don't think they have recovered yet!

The worse thing is that they do not send you a confirmation of that change of address so you are left wondering if it was processed yet or not...

ARQU

one thing to add:

[4] send a copy of your AR-11 and receipts to your Congressperson with a request to get Immigration to actually change their records.

Seriously - I bet they would save a lot of work if they simply instituted a centralized address database (They must be using one...). Then someone would key that AR-11 in (KY for example), fire out a quick confirmation notice to the new (and old) address on file - just like they do when you file a change of address with USPS. Sure it would cost a few bucks more for postage up front by I am dam sure that it would save that cost 5 fold over time with all the calls and duplicate address changes a person needs to file...

On another note:

I wonder if congressmen have staffers who do nothing but 'immigration' inquiries? I should set up an office and outsource immigration inquiry functions to the house of congress... I could have an Apt. in Washington and schmooze all the 'players'... I could have a few of my own staff coordinating the congressional inquiries being directed to the INS and I could make a fortune!

I'm almost serious about this one... I sense a lot of money to be made...

ARQU