free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Passport expiration issue

Hi!
    I have an european passport that is going to expire on march 20th. I'm in US, filed for I-485 AOS but still waiting. What will happen after march 20th when my passport will be expired?
    Can I ask for some kind of passport renewal while here?

Thanx a lot

Thorvy

Hi!
    I have an european passport that is going to expire on march 20th. I'm in US, filed for I-485 AOS but still waiting. What will happen after march 20th when my passport will be expired?
    Can I ask for some kind of passport renewal while here?

Thanx a lot

Thorvy

where are you from?
    My best bet would be for you to get intouch with your home country and figure out what to do in order to renew your passport.
    I know that my country require that the person applying for a renewal of their passport must be in some kind of legal status in the country where they apply if they don't renew in their country of origin.

I'm from Bulgaria. And I dont know what my country requires in order to renew the passport. But since I filed for the AOS I cant leave the US to get my passport renewed in Bulgaria.

Is anybody there that can tell me if I can leave the US even if I have filed the AOS? I have a touristic visa.

Thorvy

You can extend for up to 6 months your existing passport.
    http://www.bulgaria-embassy.org/Cons.../pass-help.htm

Or can apply for new one.
    http://www.bulgaria-embassy.org/Cons...Procedures.htm

(geez - like first time in 10 years when i actually had to read in bulgarian)

Oh yeah - and you are in legal status if you got AOS filing reciepts on hands.

Good luck

Call your country's consulate or embassy, they will extend it here in the US, but you have to show proof of status like work permit or visa otherwise you won't be able to extend it, in addition if you don't extend it then CIS is not going to stamp your passport should you be approved in the future.

Wow Thanx guys!
    Valuable information poruing on me!

I will contact the Consulate and let you all know!

Cheers

Thorvy

Thorvy,
    Mojesh da si udaljish pasporta v BG consulate in US, no te ne mogat da ti izdadat nov.
    Sashto taka mojesh da izpratish palnomoshtno da tvoi rodnini v BG i te shte ti izvadiat pasport v raionnoto MVR. Tova e izkluchenie samo za Bulgarite koito jiveyat v USA ili Canada.
    Az si podnovih moya passport predi mesez v BG ( sled kato vzeh travel papers) i ot tam imam tazi informazia.

I'm Italian and I just renewed my passport trhough the Italian consulate (took about two weeks)

My Aos is still pending but I mailed them copy of SSN, US driver license and work permit.

If you won't be able to keep your old passport after renewal, it may make sense to make a copy for your records.