50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: JI visa holder marries a citizen

My fiance is on J1 visa and we are getting married shortly. I am a US citizen. When would the appropriate time be to file for status change? Also, does he have to go through the Waiver job after he completes his fellowship?

My fiance is on J1 visa and we are getting married shortly. I am a US citizen. When would the appropriate time be to file for status change? Also, does he have to go through the Waiver job after he completes his fellowship?

SOME J1 VISA HOLDERS DON`T NEED TO APLLY FOR 2-YEARS HOME RESIDENCY REQU. WAIVER , SIMPLY PLEASE CHECK HIS VISA NOTE IT SHOULD INDIC. IF 2 YERARS HOME PRESENTS DO OR NOT APPLY . AND IF NOT , YOU GO AHEAD AND AS SOON AS YOU GET MARIED APPLY FOR ADJ OF STATUS USING I485 I-130 PLUS WORK AUTHOR DOCUM . ,BUT IF THERE IS WAIVER REQU. YOU WILL NEED TO APPLY FOR IT. FIRST.

Chhelp, even if his visa does not indicate the 2yrs home residency requirement, the department of states recommends that you submit a form to confirm on whether or not the 2yr home residency requirement applies. Doing so, will make you more confident on the path you are taking. So, check his visa. If it says 2Yrs applies, then apply for a waiver. If it does not say it, then submit the form for verification. I dont recall the form now, I did mine back in 2001. If you dont submit this form, you may file your papers at USCIS and go through the whole process and when the time for the interview comes, your case might get denied because of the 2yrs home residency requirement. So, even if the visa does not explicitely say it, you should verify. There is a form on their website for that.