publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
© 1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Second marriage, second sponsorship???

Hi. I hope someone can help me!! I am an American and I am currently sponsoring my husband (he's from Mexico) for his permanent residency in the U.S. We have been married nearly two years and we will have our final meeting to lift the restrictions on his temporary residency in June. But a funny thing happened. I spent three months in Europe just after we got married and I fell in love with someone else, a British citizen. My husband knows and we have agreed to divorce and go our separate ways after the meeting in June. However, now i am worried about the legal ramifications apropos the future possibility of marrying my new partner and bringing him to the united states. I dont know if the INS will grant a second petition for a second husband. I am worried they will take one look at the fact that i was previously married to an immigrant, that we divorced right after he became a permanent resident and deny my petition for my second husband. (My second partner and I have been a couple for nearly two years).
    A special case, I am sure you will agree! I'm just scared my future with my new partner has been jeopardized by my rash decision to marry previously. Can anyone offer some advice?! Thank you.

Hi. I hope someone can help me!! I am an American and I am currently sponsoring my husband (he's from Mexico) for his permanent residency in the U.S. We have been married nearly two years and we will have our final meeting to lift the restrictions on his temporary residency in June. But a funny thing happened. I spent three months in Europe just after we got married and I fell in love with someone else, a British citizen. My husband knows and we have agreed to divorce and go our separate ways after the meeting in June. However, now i am worried about the legal ramifications apropos the future possibility of marrying my new partner and bringing him to the united states. I dont know if the INS will grant a second petition for a second husband. I am worried they will take one look at the fact that i was previously married to an immigrant, that we divorced right after he became a permanent resident and deny my petition for my second husband. (My second partner and I have been a couple for nearly two years).
    A special case, I am sure you will agree! I'm just scared my future with my new partner has been jeopardized by my rash decision to marry previously. Can anyone offer some advice?! Thank you.

It seems pretty obvious to me that your first marraige was not based on love then since you fell in love with another guy 3 months later...hmmm. INS would probably find that suspicious since the other petition has already been filed.

ps. Refrain from traveling - seems to get you in trouble.

It definitely will look suspicious and your petition most likely will be a subject to a closer scrutiny. If there's any other red flags like big age difference, low income, etc. the petition will probably be denied. Also make sure this dude isn't just after a green card. I always find it interesting how fast these green card bound individuals find a s.ucker USC to marry.

Cheers.

Thank you for the responses. To boil it down to a single question: Is it legal to sponsor a second spouse? or do you only get one chance?

What is this "final meeting to lift the restrictions on his temporary residency" you refer to in June? Have you filed an I-751 that resulted in a request for interview? You say you have been married nearly two years so it doesn't seem possible that you'd qualify to file the I-751 in June (unless you immediately AOS'ed after marriage - a rarity these days). Perhaps you could clarify this issue?

There is no restriction on the number of aliens you can sponsor in your lifetime.

Yes, it is perfectly legal to sponsor a second spouse, as long as the previous marriage was in good faith and has been legally terminated. It does look suspicious, however. I know a lady who is on her third EWI husband (seriously, I'm not kidding) she is going through A LOT of scrutiny, especially since there is a large age difference.
    Have a nice day