free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US Citizenship

How long do I have to be a permanent resident to get my citizenship? I also want to know if I would lose my canadian citizenship. Is my son allowed to have a canadian citizenship even if he is born in the US?

How long do I have to be a permanent resident to get my citizenship? I also want to know if I would lose my canadian citizenship. Is my son allowed to have a canadian citizenship even if he is born in the US?

if you'r married to a u.s citizen then you can apply for citizen after 3 years . if your not married to a u.s citizen then you have to wait 5 full years to apply for citizen.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shelly2020:
    How long do I have to be a permanent resident to get my citizenship? I also want to know if I would lose my canadian citizenship. Is my son allowed to have a canadian citizenship even if he is born in the US? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why did you leave Canada? didn't you like the health care system?
    "Being all fashioned of the self-same dust let us be merciful as well as just"
    Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

The only reason I left Canada was because I married a US Citizen (my first husband). Things got really bad between the two of us so we got a divorce and I had my conditions lifted last summer. I fianlly got my divorce in early 2005 and I was remarried at the end of 2005 to an Air Force soldier. We have a child together and a wonderful marriage and he is the reason why I am not moving back to Canada. When my ex and I were going through our speration and then divorce I had full intentions on moving back to Canada after I had saved up some money but then I met my current husband and everything changed.

I am still wondering if I would keep my Canadian Citizenship if I became a US Citizen? I dont want to lose it in case my husband and I decide once he is out of the military that we have that door open to us. Also for my son sake this would open another door for him when he is older.

Hi Shelly,

You will have to ask Canadian Embassy if
    you can have a dual citizenship.

I was also naturalized USC through my parents petition, but when I married my husband ( american) I filed dual citizenship for both of us in my home country.

so it is possible to have a dual citizenship then? I know that when you fill out the paper work for USC it states that you have to give up any other citizenship that is what confused me.

Hi Shelly2020,

Dual citizenship is allowed in the US; just not something that's widely promoted. You need to check on the Canadian side too, as Speed suggested to make sure your bases are covered. Good luck!

Dual citizenship with USA and Canada is allowed. They generally don't promote it as it can sometimes cause difficulties, however when I went for my visa interview yesterday in another country that the US recognizes dual citizenship for, they actually touted it.
    The whole of life is but a moment of time. It is our duty, therefore to use it, not to misuse it - Plutarch