50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: What are a USC rights and options after divorce

Quick background, married in july 2004, visa granted oct 2004, ex arrives nov 2004. Everythig is O.K. until january when she demands a divorce. I thought she was having trouble adjusting here and just needed some more time but she constantly pestered me for the next 2 months. She was constantly on the phone with her friends back home and in the US receiving "advice" as what to do. I finally get fed up and I petition for a no contest divorce(New Mexico), she signs and divorce was final last week. She left with her firends the next day. I lived with her overseas for one year before we came to the states. I know I am responsible for her per I-864 but what else do I have to do with respect to USCIS or anybody else? Note: she got nothing but what she brought here and the bank account in her name.

Quick background, married in july 2004, visa granted oct 2004, ex arrives nov 2004. Everythig is O.K. until january when she demands a divorce. I thought she was having trouble adjusting here and just needed some more time but she constantly pestered me for the next 2 months. She was constantly on the phone with her friends back home and in the US receiving "advice" as what to do. I finally get fed up and I petition for a no contest divorce(New Mexico), she signs and divorce was final last week. She left with her firends the next day. I lived with her overseas for one year before we came to the states. I know I am responsible for her per I-864 but what else do I have to do with respect to USCIS or anybody else? Note: she got nothing but what she brought here and the bank account in her name.

If you are no longer married she is here illegally and should leave, but you are no longer responsible for her if she chooses not to. You could rat her out if you want to be vindictive, or you could take the high road and just let her get caught on her own.
    it was like that when i found it... honest!

Throw all Aliens in garbage bags and then dump them in the river.. or better Ocean!
    Tie some heavy stones to it, so that they never pop-up.

Good luck,
    marmaduk'

What exactly do you mean when you say: visa granted oct 2004 ? Did you do direct consular filling? So she has a conditional green card? If that is the case, she is not staying here illegaly. She will likely encounter some extra scrutiny when trying to remove conditions (duration of marriage).
    Sorry I don't have the answer to your question.

Yes we filed directly at the Embassy and here green card is a conditional one. I guess what I want to know is what do I have to do with USCIS when I move? Do I have to contact them and tell them we were divorced or just do nothing?

You're still bound by the affidavit of support that you sign when sponsoring her GC, just as you stated. If she ever file and granted govt social assistance such as welfare,etc, the govt in turn, is entitled to charge you for it.

Other than that, I don't think there's anything else to do with regard to USCIS.

If u r divorced.... U don't have to do nothing unless u want to tell USCIS that u r divorced...if she has conditional green card...she will file a waiver and then whatever happens that's her fate... u do nothing...as marmaduk said u still will be bound by affidavit of support unless she becomes USC or completes 40 quarters of work or leaves the country permanently ...good luck...Pasha