free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Confused...

Hi, Im new to this site, in fact, just joined so that I can ask a few questions. Please be gentle, I may sound stupid when asking, but I assure you Im just trying to do the right thing. My boyfriend and I are getting very serious in our relationship, I recently found out he is over here w/out papers. Im assuming that means he's "illegal"? His mother crossed the border illegally w/him and his sisters when they were very young, anyway, hes gone through school in the US and worked since he was young, files income tax so I guess that means he has a SS#? If we were to get married, what would need to happen first? He shared w/me that he is not a citizen, but he was married before to a US Citizen, but didnt get his Citizenship. I hope Im saying all this correctly, feel so ignorant right now, but need some answers. Thank you so much for your time.

Hi, Im new to this site, in fact, just joined so that I can ask a few questions. Please be gentle, I may sound stupid when asking, but I assure you Im just trying to do the right thing. My boyfriend and I are getting very serious in our relationship, I recently found out he is over here w/out papers. Im assuming that means he's "illegal"? His mother crossed the border illegally w/him and his sisters when they were very young, anyway, hes gone through school in the US and worked since he was young, files income tax so I guess that means he has a SS#? If we were to get married, what would need to happen first? He shared w/me that he is not a citizen, but he was married before to a US Citizen, but didnt get his Citizenship. I hope Im saying all this correctly, feel so ignorant right now, but need some answers. Thank you so much for your time.

Are you a US citizen?
    The above is simply an opinion. Your mileage may vary. For immigration issues, please consult an immigration attorney.

The easiest way for him to "get legal" is to marry a U.S. citizen. Therefore you should be concerned about his true intentions.

I suggest you tell him that you yourself are here on a greencard. Make it beliveable tell him you were born in the UK and that you or your parents never filed for citizenship.

See what he does.

THere is a BIG difference for an illegal if they marry a citizen as opposed to marrying a green card holder.

I don't suggest the above to be mean or even to sound cynical. I only suggest it because you mention that things are "just starting to get serious".

Remember people are not always what they appear to be.

Ask him if he has a green card. The fact that he is not a citizen dosnt mean that he is illigal. If he was married once he might have gotten the green card but never filed for citizenship. Ask him how he got the SS number. If you get merried and he is indeed illigal you have to sponser him for his permenet residency (green card). For more info go here:
    http://www.immihelp.com/greencard/fa...ons-in-us.html
    Make sure you look at petition I-130 and I-485

Yes, I am a US Citizen, and he knows that. I know he doesnt have any bad "intentions" but I understand what you mean. Thanks to everyone that responded, I will definitely do some more research.

The question posed about if he has a green card through his former marriage is a very important one. If he managed to secure residency through his first wife, the issue of citizenship is not as important, as the fact that it simplifies the process for you.

Since he entered without inspection as a young child, even marriage to a US citizen can be tricky, since an alien EWI (entered without inspection) cannot adjust in the USA and would have to return to his native country. If he's been here that long would be subject to a 10 year bar if he leaves, which would need to be overcome. I'd contact an immigration attorney to make sure you are clear on his current status and apprise yourself of all of the steps.
    The above is simply an opinion. Your mileage may vary. For immigration issues, please consult an immigration attorney.

Please proceed with caution. Find out everything you can about his currennt and past immigration status.

Thank you...when I asked him why he didnt get his citizenship before he divorced he told me because his marriage wasnt about that. So I didnt ask anything else. But I will!! I have a lot of questions for him. Another question, if we would get married and I find out hes not legal...would that put me in any kind of trouble? How did he and his first wife do it? As you can see, I know absolutely nothing about this. So I very much appreciate the guidance from everyone who has responded. So are you saying he might have to go back to Mexico and not be allowed to return? This is so horrible and really scares me. I care a great deal about this man, and he does me. I have no doubts about that... but I will definitely ask more questions.

U cant get in any trouble if you marry him and he is illegal. The worst that can happen is that you will have to sponsor his papers and if your intentions are real there shouldn't be a problem. Just find out the answer to the simple question - does he need a green card or not. If you guys are close this question should not be embarrassing for any of you. After you get your answer do what your heart tell you...