free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Marriage Fraud Victims - Please Read

Desperate people do desperate things, unfortunately these actions affect the vulnerable in unforseen ways. I would hate to think that anyone could be that malicious without really being at their absolute rope's end and see no other way out than to commit marriage fraud.

Originally posted by SeanPatrick:
    I am curious how a residency seeker can sleep with someone, have children and put forward an act for years just to acquire U.S. residency. It must take a toll on the soul of residency seekers to prostitute themselves for U.S residency.
    There is a saying that you have to hate someone before you can divorce them. I think it is unfortunate that your divorce spun out of control. Watch a couple nights of Nancy Grace and you can thank your lucky stars for VAWA and be glad you didn't end up in a shoe box in your next door neighbors dumpster. There is always a person who has it worse than you.

"re-living it" on this board probably does not do well for your soul either.

Judging people from other cultures by our standards of "morality" if you will or our "rule of Law" is a bit dicey. We are in a totally different place on Maslovs Hierarchy of Needs than 85% of folks on this planet. We are in Luxury Mode and they are in "survival mode".
    Its a totally different language that we cannot speak or ever hope to comprehend.

Its quite unfortunate that you had a horrible divorce. For your own mental health and well being I suggest you stop talking about it and move forward in a positive direction. Wounds either heal or fester. Pick One.

Good advice RW. I do plan to put this all behind me when all of the upcoming court dates are behind me. I have moved on with a good American Woman, but the false accusations and the vicious court system still haunts my dreams and daily life.

I have been adapting to the circumstances and I am learning to deal with being exiled and alienated in my own country. Survival mode does bend the laws of civic and legal morality indeed. A normal divorce would have been easy compared to a divorce with VAWA on my shoulders.

"All of the petitioner's property is immediately turned over to the residency seeker before a divorce hearing"

Sean I have to disagree with you there, that is totally incorrect.
    It may have happened to you, but it does not happen in many cases.
    The judge may have awarded her the house, because she has the child.
    Non immigrant marriages, the woman often has the house if there are children involved.

Immigrants don't get pro bono lawyers automatically either, in fact its very hard to find one. They might get some through charities, but often the lawyers are not that experienced.

I agree, I wish something was done about people scamming to get a green card, it puts people like me in a bad light.

One day I will tell all my story on here, and you and everyone else will be able to see the other side of it too. It can burn both ways.

Good luck, and hope you get some answers soon
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
    1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

Originally posted by republicanwriter:
    I am curious how a person in the United States meets a person overseas and becomes a "victim" of marriage fraud?

It strikes me as extraordinarily odd that someone would enter into a marriage with a person who is a total and complete stranger and from a different culture to boot.

? How is this different that going on a wild weekend to Vegas and getting drunk and running into another drunk and getting hitched? (except for the booze part) You wake up with someone you don't know and of course its a disaster.

Why is everyone so shocked to find out they are not compatible with and have no common ground with a total stranger? There are not even any common cultural touchstones in these relationships. Different Religious denominations, different languages, different attitudes about everything.

There are no mutual friends or a way to check on a person who lives overseas to make sure they are a person of honor and respectability.

In a million years I will never understand a western woman marrying a man from the East?? Why would someone do that? For all you know these men have a wife/wives or children in their own country.

Cultural norms in many of these countries are such that men treat women as property or second class citizens. If someone has grown up thinking this all their lives, stepping off a plane in the US is not going to make a person have a different belief system.

When you bring these people into your homes and lives and they treat you in a way you did not anticipate (or with total disregard) its time to shake it off like the weekend in Vegas. You would not agonize over that for weeks or months or years you would simply END IT and move forward acknowledging you made a rash decision.

I do not know where you people are encountering these foreigners who are "scamming you" for Immigration Benefits, but I suggest where ever it is ...DON'T GO THERE ANYMORE.
    There are some real dangers in generalization. To be clear, I'm not sure my situation is indeed VAWA, it may become that after her gambit to get sole custody of our son and the concomitant child support exploded spectacularly.

Ours was an internet relationship; we both were from the same country initially, she was in Canada, I was here; she was even from the same state and spoke the same language (which I have forgotten but that\s beside the point). I did the due diligence, figured out that things were not going to work and made the mistake of taking her word that she was still on the pill.

In our case, its too late for VAWA to be of any use to her, per se. The household assets are beyond her reach; she moved into a shelter.

I'm not reliving the past; she has taken my son hostage. This has nothing to do with hating somebody but protecting a child from a feral, venomous and not particularly bright creature who just happened to gestate him. I am being patient and slowly but surely getting custody of my son back.

I'll be happy to join this group, maybe some of the tactics that I employed could neutralize a VAWA attack as long as it doesn't economically or significantly emotionally damage you, why do you care ashes to ashes gutter to gutter.

Hi HelpVictim,

It's a good idea to pool resources and info to counter fraud marriages. I'm not sure about suing DHS about that though - maybe the other members here can share their input with you about that.

Hi Sprint_Girl07,

Hope you're doing better now and have moved on - your situation is the same as my friend's case (which is why I got led to this forum in the first place) Her US cit. husband was abusive of her. Do tell your story one of these days so that we may read about it and others who are in the same situation like yours could learn and be encouraged.
    Do all the good you can, in all the ways you can, as long as ever you can.

--John Wesley

I dated the criminal I was involved with for one year before the actual crime (the "marriage"). I slowly began to realize it on that day. But as everyone knows, i am a trusting, kind and loving person. Only after she confirmed it after 2 years did I divorce her. I think its possible for a couple to meet, even for an instant, and be in love for a lifetime. And I think its possible to think you know someone for years and still be conned.
    It is difficult to know what is in someone's heart. And people will marry anyone and do anything to get a green card. They will marry a mental retard, a black, a jew, an ex-convict, a serial rapist, a Democrat, a child molestor, etc.... They don't care.

By the way, you can not sue any police agency for not doing it's job. Sorry.

Thank you Mrs B, unfortunately nearly 1 yr down the line, I am still going through the divorce, and a very difficult one at that.
    There are days I do feel like giving in to him, but I am determined not to, many women do, but I don't want to be one of those women.

SOM...there are a lot of words that you wrote there that are very true, and I do believe came from your heart.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
    1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

Originally posted by SonofMichael:
    I dated the criminal I was involved with for one year before the actual crime (the "marriage"). I slowly began to realize it on that day. But as everyone knows, i am a trusting, kind and loving person. Only after she confirmed it after 2 years did I divorce her. I think its possible for a couple to meet, even for an instant, and be in love for a lifetime. And I think its possible to think you know someone for years and still be conned.
    It is difficult to know what is in someone's heart. And people will marry anyone and do anything to get a green card. They will marry a mental retard, a black, a jew, an ex-convict, a serial rapist, a Democrat, a child molestor, etc.... They don't care.
    SOM, you have gobsmacked me, you are human after all and you do have a heart. now, if you just delete the last sentence you wrote, I think more people will be just as Gobsmacked as me.