50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Sponsor

My brother is here as a tourist, but is planning to take his exam for Med Tech., his visa will expire in three months, he will go back to our country as soon as he take the exam and wait there until the sponsor hospital is finish with all the paper work needed. The problem is he needs at least 8 months (waiting for board of Med Tech.'s response on his application). Is it possible to get an extension and be granted 5 months. I have a very good paying job, and can support him. Should we include my pay stub..etc.. along with his extension application? Had anyone been thru this?...thanks

My brother is here as a tourist, but is planning to take his exam for Med Tech., his visa will expire in three months, he will go back to our country as soon as he take the exam and wait there until the sponsor hospital is finish with all the paper work needed. The problem is he needs at least 8 months (waiting for board of Med Tech.'s response on his application). Is it possible to get an extension and be granted 5 months. I have a very good paying job, and can support him. Should we include my pay stub..etc.. along with his extension application? Had anyone been thru this?...thanks

Bill: Tourist visas can not be extended stateside, per the INS. There is the possibility of applying to change his visitor visa to a student visa (I copied some infor from the state dept for you at the bottom of the page). Another option may be to apply for an adjustment of status to immigrant, with yourself listed as the sponsor. Good luck.

It is important to remember that applying early and providing the requested documents does not guarantee that the student will receive a visa. Also, because each student's personal and academic situation is different, two students applying for same visa may be asked different questions and be required to submit different documents. For that reason, the guidelines that follow are general and can be abridged or expanded by consular officers overseas, depending on each student's situation.

What is Needed to Apply for a Student Visa?
    All applicants for a student visa must provide:

A Form I-20 obtained from a U.S. college, school or university. Please be sure to give us all four pages of the I-20 form. The form must also be signed by you and by a school official in the appropriate places;
    A completed nonimmigrant visa application form (DS-156) with photo for each person applying. A separate form is needed for children, even if they are included in a parent's passport. These forms are available at the Embassy at no charge.
    A passport valid for at least six months after your proposed date of entry into the United States;
    A receipt for visa processing fee. A receipt showing payment of the visa application fee for each applicant, including each child listed in a parent's passport who is also applying for a U.S. visa, is needed;
    All applicants should be prepared to provide:

Transcripts and diplomas from previous institutions attended;
    Scores from standardized tests required by the educational institution such as the TOEFL, SAT, GRE, GMAT, etc.;
    Financial evidence that shows you or your parents who are sponsoring you have sufficient funds to cover your tuition and living expenses during the period of your intended study. For example, if you or your sponsor is a salaried employee, please bring income tax documents and original bank books and/or statements. If you or your sponsor own a business, please bring business registration, licenses, etc., and tax documents, as well as original bank books and/or statements.
    Applicants with dependents must also provide:

Proof of the student's relationship to his/her spouse and/or children (e.g., marriage and birth certificates.)
    It is preferred that families apply for F-1 and F-2 visas at the same time, but if the spouse and children must apply separately at a later time, they should bring a copy of the student visa holder's passport and visa, along with all other required documents.