free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If green card expired already?

If you're an immigrant and your green card expired already for a year, is there any chance you'll be deported?

Can one still file for naturalization (citizenship) even though ones green card had already been expired?

If you're an immigrant and your green card expired already for a year, is there any chance you'll be deported?

Can one still file for naturalization (citizenship) even though ones green card had already been expired?

As far as I know, you can file form I-90 to renew your card even if your greencard is already expired, but only if you are currently within the US (and if you are, don't leave until you have your new card)

As far as I know you have to produce a valid GC at the interview for naturalization, so you should apply for renewal of your GC and then apply for citizenship

Hello,

My sister has been out of the country since 1986 and would now like to return to the US, she is still in posession of her original green card and social security card, how do we find out if it's still valid and if not who do I contact to help her re-new it?

Thank in advance for helping me.

Rosalba

Don't post your own questions on threads for other discussion. Start your own discussion.

Rosalba: Your sister's green card is invalid, and cannot be renewed. A green card is a Permanent Resident Card, and your sister is no longer a permanent resident.

When your sister left America in order to live in another country, she relinquished her permanent residency status.

A green card is NOT a glorified tourist visa, and cannot be used as such.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">When your sister left America in order to live in another country, she relinquished her permanent residency status. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not necessarily true. If she maintained ties to the US there is a chance she could return but it might be an uphill struggle given the absence for so long. She would need to file for an SB-1 visa.
    "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."

...there are uphill struggles, and then there are UPHILL STRUGGLES (LOL).

For someone even to think that their green card might still be valid (or renewable) after 24 years of living in a foreign country...well, that just doesn't make any sense.

Of course, they're welcome to waste their money by trying...if nothing else, the government needs the money, and the Consulate officers will get a good laugh.

She should go to nearest US Embassy or Consulate and apply for SB1 Visa as Brit said.