free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Citizenship

Hi I was not born in the US but I lived there for 17 years (until I was 18) and now I have been out of the country for 5 years. Nether of my parents are US citizens and I heard that if you show proof that you were living in the states during your childhood you can easily apply for citizenship. I was wondering if any of this is true. If so what kind of proof if I don't have a passport or social security Number Also what is the best course of action now?

thanks

Hi I was not born in the US but I lived there for 17 years (until I was 18) and now I have been out of the country for 5 years. Nether of my parents are US citizens and I heard that if you show proof that you were living in the states during your childhood you can easily apply for citizenship. I was wondering if any of this is true. If so what kind of proof if I don't have a passport or social security Number Also what is the best course of action now?

thanks

Hi Pennsyl,

I'm moving this post up so others will see it.

How did your parents enter the US?? Were they on a visa? You probably need to share a bit more information and background because every situation is a little different.

Hi Pennsyl,

Personally I have never heard of that and I never have read anything anywhere that states that.
    My cousins were in same situation as you, and couldn't ever get Citizenship unless through the normal routes. They went back to UK, they never thought about problems if they wanted to come back and live. Their father who lived and worked here passed away so it kind of stopped them obtaining new Green cards even.

Was there any reason why your parents didn't apply for Citizenship themselves, as you could have got Citizenship through them before you were 18.
    I am presuming you were all Green Card holders?
    I am thinking that as you have been out of the US for 5 yrs, and not kept up with the requirements for holding on to the GC, it would be seen as abandonment now.

I am not sure if you were entitled to Citizenship in another way, whether the fact you spent most of your life here would speed things up or not or whether there was a way where the time spent in the US previously would count as time towards Citizenship in the future. (if applicable). Not heard of it but someone might know something.

If you wanted to apply now for Citizenship you would have to have a Green Card as your parents are not natural born USC's.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
    1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

First of all you should respond to ProudUSC
    You must give some more info on you case,
    How di your parents enter the US, What type of Visa, Where di you go to school/College.

What the OP needs is a US birth certificate.

Theone, the OP was not born in the US, and her parents are not USC's.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
    1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sprint_girl07:
    Theone, the OP was not born in the US, and her parents are not USC's. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sprint lol Theone reads quite well and has made this statement 4 a reason.

Point is.. according to the poster in first post. There is no reason to answer Proud's questons about parents etc. There is no reason for assumption about greencard prior either. All of it is moot.

If poster wanted to get citizenship.. then it is as Theone says...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 4now:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sprint_girl07:
    Theone, the OP was not born in the US, and her parents are not USC's. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sprint lol Theone reads quite well and has made this statement 4 a reason.

Point is.. according to the poster in first post. There is no reason to answer Proud's questons about parents etc. There is no reason for assumption about greencard prior either. All of it is moot.

If poster wanted to get citizenship.. then it is as Theone says... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

4now LOL for what reason?? the poster states she was not born in the US neither was her parents. so where does the US birth certificate come into it, just wondering?

Jake

You and sprint are thinking along the same lines. Has everybody lost their sense of humour??

Wht theone is saying that if this poster has anything short of having a us birth certificate... then forgettabout.