free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help

I'm a Canadian with an American father but I don't know him and can't prove that he's my biological father just yet. I'm waiting to hear from him about meeting but would like to know in advance if I can get a court ordered DNA test if he refuses to take one voluntarily?

I'm a Canadian with an American father but I don't know him and can't prove that he's my biological father just yet. I'm waiting to hear from him about meeting but would like to know in advance if I can get a court ordered DNA test if he refuses to take one voluntarily?

have u sought legal advice if not i would ......I think to have read somewhere it has to be voluntary on his part. Are u wanting to become a USA citizen? U will need DNA to do this as he is not on ur birth certificate

No, I don't want to become a citizen but would like permanent residency and work rights and obviously having his DNA would definately help but if he doesn't want to do it...are you saying that I'm more or less "screwed"?

Your NEVER screwed..... have u talked to him about your reasons behind trying to find out who ur biological father is? By wanting to become a PR u have to get him to sponsor u ... i suppose u obviously have contact with him to have found out that he is not willing to participate in DNA testing? Maybe have a heart to heart with him and tell him of ur intentions. There are many private institutions where u can get DNA done. Have u considered the possibility that he might not be the father???

No, he definately IS my father and I haven't heard from him yet. I just mailed him a letter last week.I didn't explain to him my intentions for fear that he won't even respond. I basically told him I have some questions that my mother can't answer and that they will affect my future. I can't see him wanting to go through all there is to sponsor me, considering he hasn't seen me for most of my life. I'm trying to figure out other ways to eventually stay in the country like starting a business etc...but I figure he's my quickest option and I would like to meet him before it's too late. Marriage and children(with an American) may happen before he even contacts me but...if he doesn't within a couple of months or even weeks, I figure he doesn't want to at all.

one time is not enough
    u need to try to contact him in any possible way
    from all aspects it is worthy. do not despair from one letter.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SLB:
    No, he definately IS my father and I haven't heard from him yet. I just mailed him a letter last week.I didn't explain to him my intentions for fear that he won't even respond. I basically told him I have some questions that my mother can't answer and that they will affect my future. I can't see him wanting to go through all there is to sponsor me, considering he hasn't seen me for most of my life. I'm trying to figure out other ways to eventually stay in the country like starting a business etc...but I figure he's my quickest option and I would like to meet him before it's too late. Marriage and children(with an American) may happen before he even contacts me but...if he doesn't within a couple of months or even weeks, I figure he doesn't want to at all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    No way you can convince USCIS to grant you a permanenet residency without your father's help. There is way too many huddle. Either you father helps you or he doesn't.

There are only 2 ways I can think of. Depending on your fathers citizenship circumstance, you might be eligible for only #1.

1. Your father sponsors you for green card.
    2. File for claim acquired citizenship through your father.

As you can see, it can't be done without his help.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SLB:
    No, I don't want to become a citizen but would like permanent residency and work rights and obviously having his DNA would definately help but if he doesn't want to do it...are you saying that I'm more or less "screwed"? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Here are the conditions for the father to sponsor his child born out of wedlock:
    "If the child was not legitimated before reaching 18 years old, you must file your petition with copies of evidence that abona fide parent-child relationship existed between the father and the child before the child reached 21 years.This may include evidence that the father lived with the child, supported him or her, or otherwise showed continuing parental interest in the child's welfare." Form I-130

Response to Templar...does citizenship through my father mean I would have to give up my Canadian citizenship?

And to Aneri....I have no proof that he's my father. I used to have a couple of pictures of us together but they're lost. We've never had a relationship. My mother brought me to Cali to meet him when I was 2 or 3 but that's it. He's never paid child support (that I know of) and he's never attempted to contact me.