50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: OPT to J1 to H1b?

hey i'm a tad confused about policies and i was wondering if someone can clear this out for me.
    i am currently on opt which will end on january 2008 and i was told by a lawyer i could file and work under J1 visa while i wait for april 2008 to apply for H1b while still working under J1 until october when(and if i get it) the H1b will start.
    but i've read people saying that if one applies for J1 he has to leave the country for 2 years? is that true? i am just trying to find a solution to fill the gap between feburary when my opt ends and october if i get my h1b. so will i be able to work under J1?

hey i'm a tad confused about policies and i was wondering if someone can clear this out for me.
    i am currently on opt which will end on january 2008 and i was told by a lawyer i could file and work under J1 visa while i wait for april 2008 to apply for H1b while still working under J1 until october when(and if i get it) the H1b will start.
    but i've read people saying that if one applies for J1 he has to leave the country for 2 years? is that true? i am just trying to find a solution to fill the gap between feburary when my opt ends and october if i get my h1b. so will i be able to work under J1?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gal:
    but i've read people saying that if one applies for J1 he has to leave the country for 2 years? is that true? i am just trying to find a solution to fill the gap between feburary when my opt ends and october if i get my h1b. so will i be able to work under J1? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    To apply for the J1 visa, there may be a 2 year requirement. The requirement is as follows:
    * The program in which the exchange visitor was participating was financed in whole or in part directly or indirectly by the United States government or the government of the exchange visitor's nationality or last residence;
    * The exchange visitor is a national or resident of a country designated as requiring the services of persons engaged in the field of specialized knowledge or skills in which the exchange visitor was engaged for the duration of their program (Exchange Visitor Skills List 9 FAM 41.62, Exhibit II);
    * The exchange visitor entered the United States to receive graduate medical education or training.

What occupation are you currently seeking employment? It might help to determine if you may be eligible for the J1 or not.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre