50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Marriage Based Interview Experience

Since I have referred to this board quite frequently for help/advice/past experiences - i felt it only appropriate to post my experience...

I am a USC and married to a Brazilian. We were married in January and filed our forms in March. In May, my husband received his EAD and then filed for a Social Security card. He received his card a few days later. We were notified that our interview for his conditional Green Card would be Sept. 8th (today) at 8:30am. The interview went as follows...

We showed up at 8:15, didnt wait much more than 10 minutes - then were called in. A woman took us into a cubicle, and asked how we met. We gave her a very brief rendition - then asked a few logistics questions, our name, date of birth. She asked for some of our joint documents - we had bank statements and that's about it. We just bought a house on Friday (although its only in my name - which she didnt have a problem with) so we didnt have any utilities, etc set up. I gave her our bank statement and a combined cell phone bill. She then asked for my tax returns and w-2s. I also gave her a year's worth of paychecks (just to be safe). She seemed very content with that and didnt ask for anything more. She didnt ask if my husband was working or really any questions about him or us (as a couple). To me, it seemed she just wanted to know that we were financially stable. The entire thing didnt last more than 15 or 20 minutes and she told us we were approved, stamped his passport (with a temporary greencard stamp and told him his would be arriving in 3 months). She said he was free to travel with the stamp.

It was incredibly painless and an overall very easy experience. Thank God!! If anyone has any questions - feel free to ask.

Since I have referred to this board quite frequently for help/advice/past experiences - i felt it only appropriate to post my experience...

I am a USC and married to a Brazilian. We were married in January and filed our forms in March. In May, my husband received his EAD and then filed for a Social Security card. He received his card a few days later. We were notified that our interview for his conditional Green Card would be Sept. 8th (today) at 8:30am. The interview went as follows...

We showed up at 8:15, didnt wait much more than 10 minutes - then were called in. A woman took us into a cubicle, and asked how we met. We gave her a very brief rendition - then asked a few logistics questions, our name, date of birth. She asked for some of our joint documents - we had bank statements and that's about it. We just bought a house on Friday (although its only in my name - which she didnt have a problem with) so we didnt have any utilities, etc set up. I gave her our bank statement and a combined cell phone bill. She then asked for my tax returns and w-2s. I also gave her a year's worth of paychecks (just to be safe). She seemed very content with that and didnt ask for anything more. She didnt ask if my husband was working or really any questions about him or us (as a couple). To me, it seemed she just wanted to know that we were financially stable. The entire thing didnt last more than 15 or 20 minutes and she told us we were approved, stamped his passport (with a temporary greencard stamp and told him his would be arriving in 3 months). She said he was free to travel with the stamp.

It was incredibly painless and an overall very easy experience. Thank God!! If anyone has any questions - feel free to ask.

I am curious. Where was your interview? Ours was in Pittsburgh on 8/24. He didn't stamp a thing in my husband's passport, but we got an approval (Welcome Notice) in the mail on 9/6 that stated his green card would arrive within three weeks. We checked the online account today just to see if anything was posted, and it had been updated today and stated that the I-485 has been approved and approval notice sent today. I am thinking they mailed the green card today since we already got the approval notice stating that we would receive the green card within three weeks. Our interview was basically that short also. He took employment letters and our 2004 tax return and also our baby's birth certificate. He also took our joint account information like our bank statement, mortgage, utilites and all my beneficiary info where it shows my husband as beneficiary of all my govenment benefits such as life insurance, fers and tsp where I work for the fed government. I guess the one common factor is that they seem to all ask for financial information. My interviewer never even went over the affidavit of support or I-485.

Congrats to you too!

Michael
    Brazil? Aren't they savages and live in a jungle??

To Mecrbc....
    I've been wondering what the process was like marrying a US citizen and becoming a legal resident(I'm canadian). You made it sound too easy. With my luck, it would take forever but I'd like to know....was getting married just as easy as if you were both US citizens?Does anyone ask you questions about the legitimacy of your marriage or is that only when you start filing papers to stay in the country legally?Do you need to be living together?Have known each other for a certain amount of time?Know their favorite color?