50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Green Card Lottery Winner in PA

Last year I won the Green card lottery in South Africa and came across to the States. I'm currently working as a nanny with a family in Pennsylvania, but I desperately want to find other work. As I have little experience, I believe that the best area of employment would be in customer services and/or administration.

My biggest problem is that I'm not familiar with the American system and somehow feel that I'm not getting anywhere with my job search. So far I have placed my resume on Career builder and have sent it out to various companies, but sadly with no success.

I would appreciate it if you could advise me of any steps that I need to follow or any alleys that I could go down. Currently I am sorting out my driver licence, a credit card and now have my state ID. Are there any other important documents that i may need?

I apologise as this may come across as a really silly request, but I'm at the point where I feel a bit lost and not quite sure... I so wish that there was a manual of what to do when entering the country and starting a life...:-)
    Please don't get me wrong, I don't want to come across as a negative person, I love this new experience and am thankful for it, I just never had any problems in the other countries that I lived... so now I kinda need some help please...

Please help me locate employment other than being a nanny. Please help me locate an agency that will advise me on immigration issues.

Thank you!

Last year I won the Green card lottery in South Africa and came across to the States. I'm currently working as a nanny with a family in Pennsylvania, but I desperately want to find other work. As I have little experience, I believe that the best area of employment would be in customer services and/or administration.

My biggest problem is that I'm not familiar with the American system and somehow feel that I'm not getting anywhere with my job search. So far I have placed my resume on Career builder and have sent it out to various companies, but sadly with no success.

I would appreciate it if you could advise me of any steps that I need to follow or any alleys that I could go down. Currently I am sorting out my driver licence, a credit card and now have my state ID. Are there any other important documents that i may need?

I apologise as this may come across as a really silly request, but I'm at the point where I feel a bit lost and not quite sure... I so wish that there was a manual of what to do when entering the country and starting a life...:-)
    Please don't get me wrong, I don't want to come across as a negative person, I love this new experience and am thankful for it, I just never had any problems in the other countries that I lived... so now I kinda need some help please...

Please help me locate employment other than being a nanny. Please help me locate an agency that will advise me on immigration issues.

Thank you!

You are on a right track my getting a driver's license, credit card and state ID. Among many job search engines, you will find www.monster.com to be effective, careerbuilder.com, hotjobs.com
    Also sunday newspaper is very good source of job information.
    i do not know if you will have anyother immigration documents to take care of. You should certainly have your social security card, green card, and driver's license.

You can also go to your local umeployment office and see if they can help you. I know US citizens can claim unemployment, but I am not sure about green card holders.
    Hope this information helps

Unemployment insurance is decided by each state, but generally you do not receive it if you leave a job voluntarily. Also, you need to work for an employer who pays into the system to be eligible to receive it.