50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: College Application Help...

I have been living in the United States since 1991, and never have left the country. I am a naturally born citizen of the Republic of Korea, and I recently have ran into a problem. I am applying for colleges this year, and noticed that I am confused about what status I am. My Parents are naturalized citizens, and I have lived with them for the whole time. Last year in September, I got "adopted" or finally got to the adoption process, and have legally been adopted and have had my last name changed. We recently hired a lawyer, to take care of my status and such. I have a status that is "permanent resident-pending." I wanted to know, for college applications, what I should put for status, and will they accept me even though my status is permanent resident pending(with applicant number)? Will they accept that I will be getting a green card soon, and that I have applied for it? One last thing, is there no law, exception to cases like mine where they let those who have been living in the United States for a long time, get permanent resident status right away for education purposes? I have been in the public school system from pre-school to my Senior year in high school in the United States, I think I deserve to be able to go to college next fall. Any Help will be appreciated, Thank You.

I have been living in the United States since 1991, and never have left the country. I am a naturally born citizen of the Republic of Korea, and I recently have ran into a problem. I am applying for colleges this year, and noticed that I am confused about what status I am. My Parents are naturalized citizens, and I have lived with them for the whole time. Last year in September, I got "adopted" or finally got to the adoption process, and have legally been adopted and have had my last name changed. We recently hired a lawyer, to take care of my status and such. I have a status that is "permanent resident-pending." I wanted to know, for college applications, what I should put for status, and will they accept me even though my status is permanent resident pending(with applicant number)? Will they accept that I will be getting a green card soon, and that I have applied for it? One last thing, is there no law, exception to cases like mine where they let those who have been living in the United States for a long time, get permanent resident status right away for education purposes? I have been in the public school system from pre-school to my Senior year in high school in the United States, I think I deserve to be able to go to college next fall. Any Help will be appreciated, Thank You.

Jay--there's nothing that stops you from going to college next fall BUT there is the question of who's going to pay for it. What you seem to be getting at in a roundabout way is will you qualify for in-state tuition and financial aid, which is something you should take up with the financial aid advisors at the school you're interested in attending.