50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
© 1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Travelling outside the U.S.

My friend has applied an application Form I-751 to remove condition on her residence. Her temporary green card is expiring very shortly. Now she has to visit her country on perosnal business for a period of three months. I would like to know as to what she should to travel outside the U.S. during pending of her case at USCIS. People are of different views on this matter. (1) Some say that she should go to the local INS office with NOA to get her passport stamped and this will do for her travel outside the U.S. (2) Some say that the NOA which she will receive from USCIS, is sufficient for her travel to and out of the U.S. (3) Some ay that she is required to apply for Advance Payrole to enter the U.S. after visiting her country.
    Please let me know out of the three options metnionedabove which one is good for her travel outside the U.S. Thanks

My friend has applied an application Form I-751 to remove condition on her residence. Her temporary green card is expiring very shortly. Now she has to visit her country on perosnal business for a period of three months. I would like to know as to what she should to travel outside the U.S. during pending of her case at USCIS. People are of different views on this matter. (1) Some say that she should go to the local INS office with NOA to get her passport stamped and this will do for her travel outside the U.S. (2) Some say that the NOA which she will receive from USCIS, is sufficient for her travel to and out of the U.S. (3) Some ay that she is required to apply for Advance Payrole to enter the U.S. after visiting her country.
    Please let me know out of the three options metnionedabove which one is good for her travel outside the U.S. Thanks

I would do both 1 and 3 if I were her. It may not be absolutely necessary, but it's better to be safe than sorry. Also, why not call the BCIS and ask? The worse they could do is say "I don't know." (Actually, that's probably the most likely response, but it's still worth giving a try.)
    Have a nice day

The NOA that extends the 2-yr green card for one year is good for travel. It specifically states on the NOA that it should be used for proof of status when traveling. Even when the NOA "expires" in one year, her status is still good until the I-751 is adjudicated.

Most USCIS offices will NOT stamp the passport if the LPR has a valid NOA extending status (it would be redundant and a waste of USCIS time to stamp a passport for nothing).

She does not need (nor would USCIS grant her) advance parole. Your friend is a permanent resident and permanent residents do not need (nor will they be issued) advance parole. So, there is no point in your friend applying for it - she won't get it because it is not necessary.

Hope this clarifies things.

Sphy

Advance parole would not be completely unnecessary for a trip of three months. It would be strongly advisable for a trip of six months. But they ought to be fine without AP, especially if documentation is brought showing the mainaining of a residence in the United States and the reasons why the long trip was made other than an intent to reside abroad.

Katycab,

I believe you are confusing advance parole with a re-entry permit. They use the same form (I-131) but they are entirely different entities. You can't get advance parole if you are a permanent resident.