free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Can I get work authorization?

Hi all,

I hope someone can help me with some info since I am new here.

I came to the USA with a visa but overstayed it for more then 9 years. I am marrying a Permanent Resident end of this year. My question is once I marry can I apply for work permit? If so, how long do I wait before I can get the work permit? In the meantime, can I have my boss sponsor me to get some work permit or something like that? Pls help me with any info you know. Thank you very much!

Hi all,

I hope someone can help me with some info since I am new here.

I came to the USA with a visa but overstayed it for more then 9 years. I am marrying a Permanent Resident end of this year. My question is once I marry can I apply for work permit? If so, how long do I wait before I can get the work permit? In the meantime, can I have my boss sponsor me to get some work permit or something like that? Pls help me with any info you know. Thank you very much!

well, if you married a U.S. citizen, you could have applied for a work permit and a travel document at the same time as applying for an immigrant visa and adjustment of status. Since you are going to marry a permanent resident, you cannot apply for an adjustment of status to that of permanent resident until your application for immigrant visa (I-130) is approved. Since there is a quota for the number of immigrant visas for spouses of permanent residents, there will be quite a few years until your I-130 is approved. It will go faster once your spouse becomes a U.S. citizen.
    Your boss cannot sponsor you even for a work visa, since you will not be allowed to change your status. Your only chance of legalization is to get a green card through marriage.

You cannot obtain a work permit unless marrying a US citizen. I know it must be tough.

If you have a job skill that is scarce in the USA, your employer may be able to sponsor you.

Until then you have hung in 9 yrs, just have to find some more time to hang in. But dont give up

Thanks for your reply, Lucy and Ron. I really appreciate it.

Yeah, it's been a long time and sometimes it gets depressing and I feel for everyone that doesn't have papers. My bf applied for citizenship and by the time he'll have his citizenship it'll be a few years later. Sigh..