free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HOW TO OBTAIN i-94 WITH VERY LITTLE INFO RE ARRIVAL

Person arrived in US from Bahamas in March 1994 at age 13. Deosn't even know city of arrival. Believesz it may have been Atlanta, GA. His Passport shows visa and arrival in U.S., but no 1-94. Passport has stamp: U.S. Immigration NAS #83, March 21, 1994, Until (illegible), Class 1W. Came with mother who has since died.

Person arrived in US from Bahamas in March 1994 at age 13. Deosn't even know city of arrival. Believesz it may have been Atlanta, GA. His Passport shows visa and arrival in U.S., but no 1-94. Passport has stamp: U.S. Immigration NAS #83, March 21, 1994, Until (illegible), Class 1W. Came with mother who has since died.

Someone12
    who cares? A dirtbag = a dirtbag.

Someone12
    Was there a question in that incoherent posting??????

Don't quote me but I don't think the Bahamas were part of the VWP. From what I understand, they did or do still have a treaty with the US.
    They didn't necessarily need a visa to enter the US under certain circumstances. Most I believe could enter with a police clearance paper from Nassau and somewhere else before entering the US.

However the OP said there is a visa stamp in passport. Sounds like there was a visa issued. I guess the OP has to find out how long the visa was valid for or what type of visa it was.

The Bahamians were treated differently than other nationals.

Having said that, the OP said the person arrived 14 years ago, don't think a visa was valid for that long.

bgray, has the person married a USC by any chance?

There are a few knowledgeable members here that should be able to give you more help when they log in. If Sammy comes by the board I am sure he will be of help.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
    1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

The person has now married a U.S. citizen who wants to start the green card application process. He was born in Jamaica, but moved to the Bahamas as a small child and became a Bahamas citizen. He came to the US with a Bahamas passport and visa. Does he need more than the stamp in his passport in order to file for adjustment of status.

Is there any waiver available for someone who came as a child on a vwp?

Also, he and his wife have a child.

I found this statement, written in February, 2007, by the U.S. Ambassador to the Bahamas:

"A Bahamian entering under the Bahamian visa waiver provisions may freely apply to change his status, if he or she so desires. Other restrictions under the VWP are more onerous than the visa-free travel that Bahamians currently enjoy."

So the 1W stamp is not quite the deal-breaker it appeared to be.

This is the link to the place where I read that Bahams has a more lenient vwp that permits adjustment of status without returning home.

http://nassau.usembassy.gov/passports.html

There is another rule that permits Bahamians to be pre-inspected in the Bahanas if they are arriving by air at certain entry-ports.