free information!
Copyright
© 1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice on Driving to Mexico & border living

Hi friends. If anybody has been following my situation, you'll know that my husband is illegal from Mexico. He entered without inspection back in '98, we were married in '02, our I-130 was approved this April and I had to file an I-824, which is still pending and, according to processing times, will be pending for quite some time. Once the I-824 goes through and he eventually gets his interview, he'll be denied due to the ten-year bar and I'll have to file the I-601. I recently contacted the consulate in Ciudad Juarez and they informed me that since the I-130 hasn't arrived there, we are still eligible to get the K-3 and I can file the I-601 when the K-3 gets denied. I graduated college this May, so there's nothing left to really hold us here. We are eager to get the process going, so we've decided to try the K-3 route. We have given notice in our jobs and are starting to make arrangements to go to Mexico. Since I will have to file the I-601, I need to maintain a residence in the United States. For this reason, we've decided to move to the border. I plan to work in a US border town and rent a room. My husband will be living right on the other side so I can go see him whenever I want.

We are going to go to Ciudad Juarez. We currently live in northern California (north of Sacramento). We want to take the quickest freeway route to El Paso then cross there. We are weary of "checkpoints," however. It would be too ironic if my husband got deported on his way home. We want to avoid any areas where there might be border patrol agents. We would be taking the I-5 to San Diego then going from there to El Paso. Anyone drivent these routes? The furthest I've ever been is LA.

Also, does anyone have any experience or advice in regards to border living.

Hi friends. If anybody has been following my situation, you'll know that my husband is illegal from Mexico. He entered without inspection back in '98, we were married in '02, our I-130 was approved this April and I had to file an I-824, which is still pending and, according to processing times, will be pending for quite some time. Once the I-824 goes through and he eventually gets his interview, he'll be denied due to the ten-year bar and I'll have to file the I-601. I recently contacted the consulate in Ciudad Juarez and they informed me that since the I-130 hasn't arrived there, we are still eligible to get the K-3 and I can file the I-601 when the K-3 gets denied. I graduated college this May, so there's nothing left to really hold us here. We are eager to get the process going, so we've decided to try the K-3 route. We have given notice in our jobs and are starting to make arrangements to go to Mexico. Since I will have to file the I-601, I need to maintain a residence in the United States. For this reason, we've decided to move to the border. I plan to work in a US border town and rent a room. My husband will be living right on the other side so I can go see him whenever I want.

We are going to go to Ciudad Juarez. We currently live in northern California (north of Sacramento). We want to take the quickest freeway route to El Paso then cross there. We are weary of "checkpoints," however. It would be too ironic if my husband got deported on his way home. We want to avoid any areas where there might be border patrol agents. We would be taking the I-5 to San Diego then going from there to El Paso. Anyone drivent these routes? The furthest I've ever been is LA.

Also, does anyone have any experience or advice in regards to border living.
    Have a nice day

Ooooooooh! The Mexican Underground Railroad!

Only cause I likes ya, glue, will I help ya.

First of all, you're nuts!

Don't you know about the big time serial killer problem there?
    Sweet Madame Belu

Yeah, I had to write a research paper on Maquiladoras and I read all about the unexplained killings.....

We just want to get the ball rolling. There are a lot of things to fear in Mexico, but at least deportation is not one of them.
    Have a nice day

Make sure your car is in good repair, spare tire, jack, tools, two and three inch rubber hoses, clamps, first aid kit, lots of water, snacks, and clothes that will protect you from the sun.
    Sweet Madame Belu

Got it covered. You ever been to the border, Jo?
    Have a nice day

Question Gluhbirne,

Can you obtain the I-130 forms on the internet somewhere?

Nope. Texas and So. Cal. via Interstate 10. Lots of jackaloupe out there.
    Sweet Madame Belu

Angie,

Yes. I believe you can get them on the immigration website. www.uscis.gov

Under immigration form, fees...

Actually G - Jo does have a good point. If you end up staying in Ciudad Juarez, avoid taking buses without your husband (especially at night) and avoid being anywhere other than in your own car at night while alone. Hopefully, if you work in El Paso your husband will be able to meet you at the border when you return or something!

Wear cowboy boots.

Rattlesnakes, scorpions, tarantulas, oh my!
    Sweet Madame Belu