50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Efforts to end retrogression

As you probably know, Employment Based immigration is currently showing years of retrogression. Applicants have to wait for their green cards for as many as 4-7 years, depending on the country where they were born. With retrogression, applicants are unable to complete their final phase of retrogression even if they have cleared all the previous hurdles. There are 350,000 Labor Applications pending in the backlog centers and there is no information on when we can see even a ray of hope. We, a group of volunteers at http://www.immigrationvoice.org, have set up a non profit organization to work towards resolution of these problems. All the members of this non-profit organization are themselves facing severe problems due to retrogression. Please join our efforts by visiting, registering and contributing at http://www.immigrationvoice.org

As you probably know, Employment Based immigration is currently showing years of retrogression. Applicants have to wait for their green cards for as many as 4-7 years, depending on the country where they were born. With retrogression, applicants are unable to complete their final phase of retrogression even if they have cleared all the previous hurdles. There are 350,000 Labor Applications pending in the backlog centers and there is no information on when we can see even a ray of hope. We, a group of volunteers at http://www.immigrationvoice.org, have set up a non profit organization to work towards resolution of these problems. All the members of this non-profit organization are themselves facing severe problems due to retrogression. Please join our efforts by visiting, registering and contributing at http://www.immigrationvoice.org

I'm a bit behind on this matters. I thought with the new PERM process, a decision has to be made within 90 days. Last I checked, one strategy is simply withdrawing existing Labor apps and initiate one under PERM. Have something else happened that negate this strategy?

Retrogression and labor certs in backlog are two separate issues. Marmaduke, you are correct as to how one can change a labor cert that is in back log to a PERM case. The only hitch is that everything about the job must be identical when you re-file or you lose the priority date. This could be a problem depending on how many years you have in H status when you filed.

Retrogression on the other hand prevents aliens from oversubscribed countries from filing the I-485 until they are "current". As long as they filed the labor cert by the end of the 5th year in H status the employer can keep extending the H annually (i.e. past year 6) until they are allowed to file the I-485.

I think the problem the aliens have with this is that as an H-1b visa holder they are at the mercy of the employer and have to constantly prove their "worthiness".

course they could always go home if they don't like it.

Seems to me that if Congress authorizes 195,000 plus H1-Bs, but there are only 140,000 Employment-based green cards a year, then those coming on H1-Bs should have been able to figure out that they weren't going to get green cards any time soon. Let the employee beware!

Does anyone know of a link to be able to look up for one's country of born?

A bit related to Aliba's post.
    Matthew Oh ponder why the big business didn't seem to do more in lobbying for S.1932 passing....I've a sinking feeling that more and more company is either switching to the L visas or simply outsource the jobs oversea instead.... lose lose situation for both US and foreign worker intending to work in the USA. Big business always win at the end.

I'm not too sure about Big Business "winning". They can shift jobs anywhere they want, but if enough companies do that, then the consumer markets these companies rely on, such as the U.S., will be destroyed. I wonder if China's market, or India's, or Mexico's, is growing fast enough to take up the slack for Americans who won't be able to pay $30,000 on up for cars,
    several thousand for computers, and so on.