50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Please help me to help someone else

Met this guy online and he doesn't even know the hel* his life could soon be in. He is as naive as I once was. Please help me to help him.

Do your good deed for the week gang!

His story is this. Married in 2005, to a woman from Burma.

She originally came here on a student visa, the applied for Asylum.

After marriage they saw an attorney and he applied to sponsor her.

I am still not up to speed with all the forms.

He is like me left everything up to her and the attorney . The man was busy being the bread winner, much like me!

Anyway they had a child in 2006, she left when the daughter was less than a year old. Filed for a divorce in 2007 but he lost his job and hasn't had the money to complete the divorce

The divorce was filed in Maryland under grounds of Abandonment to him and the child. He has legal custody and he moved a few months ago to a new court district in Maryland to find work.

He has been raising his 2 year old daughter alone since the age of 8 mths.

A masters hearing was scheduled and he doesn't know what for in July 2008. He did not attend.

He lost most of his paperwork at his last residence due to a flood and has been struggling to support this child and himself.

He does have the address and name of the last attorney for immigrations they used.

I want to know what to tell him. I fear she will eventually realize that she is deportable and file VAWA .

He doesn't even know what VAWA is. I know a little but I am not proficient in explaining all the immigrations details to him.

What would you advise him to do first?

I told him to make an info pass and find out exactly what he has signed? Does she have greencard etc.. Is he still her sponsor. Then to contact the attorney and ask for a copy of all records.

Any suggestions.. How he should protect himself in the event she tries VAWA? I cried for the man he has gone without food to feed his daughter. The mother has seen the child only twice since she was 8 mths old.

He found her on Craiglist under ******* encounters. He and his boss made up a false identity and pretended to be *******s and she sent them pictures. It was her he claims.

He is now in shock that I have told him what little I know about VAWA but I do fear for him and his daughter that once she realizes she is deportable and VAWA is so easy for her to claim and intstantly obtain a greencard she may try to do this..

Help me to teach him how to protect himself.

I do not wish to see this man and his child harmed any further.

I forgot one detail they filed paperwork for immigrations in Pittsburg, PA but he now resides in Maryland. Can he go to Maryland USCIS or must he go 4 hours away back to Pittsburg to see what forms for immigrations he has completed in her case. He doesn't remember anything but the I-485, G325a, and has no clue on the dates. Will USCIS help him?

Does he need to go back to Pittsburg or can he go to USCIS in Baltimore close to where he resides now.
    Thank You

Met this guy online and he doesn't even know the hel* his life could soon be in. He is as naive as I once was. Please help me to help him.

Do your good deed for the week gang!

His story is this. Married in 2005, to a woman from Burma.

She originally came here on a student visa, the applied for Asylum.

After marriage they saw an attorney and he applied to sponsor her.

I am still not up to speed with all the forms.

He is like me left everything up to her and the attorney . The man was busy being the bread winner, much like me!

Anyway they had a child in 2006, she left when the daughter was less than a year old. Filed for a divorce in 2007 but he lost his job and hasn't had the money to complete the divorce

The divorce was filed in Maryland under grounds of Abandonment to him and the child. He has legal custody and he moved a few months ago to a new court district in Maryland to find work.

He has been raising his 2 year old daughter alone since the age of 8 mths.

A masters hearing was scheduled and he doesn't know what for in July 2008. He did not attend.

He lost most of his paperwork at his last residence due to a flood and has been struggling to support this child and himself.

He does have the address and name of the last attorney for immigrations they used.

I want to know what to tell him. I fear she will eventually realize that she is deportable and file VAWA .

He doesn't even know what VAWA is. I know a little but I am not proficient in explaining all the immigrations details to him.

I told him to make an info pass and find out exactly what he has signed? Does she have greencard etc.. Is he still her sponsor. Then to contact the attorney and ask for a copy of all records.

Any suggestions.. How he should protect himself in the event she tries VAWA? I cried for the man he has gone without food to feed his daughter. The mother has seen the child only twice since she was 8 mths old.

He found her on Craiglist under ******* encounters. He and his boss made up a false identity and pretended to be *******s and she sent them pictures. It was her he claims.

He is now in shock that I have told him what little I know about VAWA but I do fear for him and his daughter that once she realizes she is deportable and VAWA is so easy for her to claim and intstantly obtain a greencard she may try to do this..

Help me to teach him how to protect himself.

I do not wish to see this man and his child harmed any further.

I forgot one detail they filed paperwork for immigrations in Pittsburg, PA but he now resides in Maryland. Can he go to Maryland USCIS or must he go 4 hours away back to Pittsburg to see what forms for immigrations he has completed in her case. He doesn't remember anything but the I-485, G325a, and has no clue on the dates. Will USCIS help him?

Does he need to go back to Pittsburg or can he go to USCIS in Baltimore close to where he resides now.
    Thank You

What ne needs to do is contact the court where the masters hearing was was filed and the court room. If he is present, he can have his say in court or to ask for a continuance to prepare for a defense or to work out in arbitration.

This site provides some info on what a master's hearing is.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Not much he can do. The ex-spouse has little say in any claim under VAWA. Most of those are faudulent, but not much he can do.

What he can do is make sure that USCIS knows the facts. Her abandonment of him and his custody of the child shoudl be made know to USCIS. These facts tend against any VAWA claim. He should also state clearly and forcefully that there were not threats against her, no violence, etc.

Not sure what this means: "He found her on Craiglist under ******* encounters. He and his boss made up a false identity and pretended to be *******s and she sent them pictures. It was her he claims."

Was this after the divorce? If she did this after the divorce, it might tend that she is a prostitute, but is not conclusive. Aliens may be excluded or removed for prostitution.

Of course she will argue that he is not paying support. Was support to her ordered by a court?

In the end the only thing he can do is make sure USCIS knows the facts.

Is he argueing that she did not enter the marriage in good faith? Usually in cases like these, the woman does not want to get pregant and loosing custody was not good for her cliam that she was abused, as usually women get custody in cases like this.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">He has been raising his 2 year old daughter alone since the age of 8 mths.

Any suggestions.. How he should protect himself in the event she tries VAWA? I cried for the man he has gone without food to feed his daughter. The mother has seen the child only twice since she was 8 mths old. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

First , you are dealing in a situation where you could very well be speaking with the "so called bad person". If he has a problem, send him here so that the facts can be obtained. No third party inaacurate facts. Fishy story and lacking major details for a determination. "He did not attend the masters hearing and did not know what it was for" He claims to be the person that filed for the divorce, and this is simply just not credible.

The least of his worries is VAWA, and even if it would be a case of VAWA, there is nothing he can do about .

Infopass appointment is not relative to him if he is not the alien that is receiving the benefit. Did he and the wife go to the 1st interview for the greencard? I am sure that they did and that she has the conditional greencard. She just has to remove conditions probably. She doesnt need to go for VAWA. She has enough proof for removal of conditions.

His only concern right now should be finishing the divorce, and filing for child support for the daughter. I also doubt very much that he has legal custody. He may have physical custody at best.

Best advice to give him is to follow thru with divorce and file for child support. Legal aid can help him with divorce if he is indigent, and domestic relations will help him file for the support.

Immigration is not his problem, as it is not relative to him.