50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Greencard processing

Hi, My husband will have his oath on April 23. That is the citizenproof right? I want to apply for my work permit I-765. Currently I am on F-1 visa. I am graduating on May 9. I havent' applied for OPT (Optional Practical Training) thinking that I might get the work permit before July 9 which is 60 days after my graduation. During that 60 days period , is it legal to stay or once I apply for I-765 , I don;t have to leave since it is in processing. How long does it take to get work permit after my husband becomes a citzen? To apply for that does my husband need to have his US passport? Please help..I don't want to make any mistakes..

Hi, My husband will have his oath on April 23. That is the citizenproof right? I want to apply for my work permit I-765. Currently I am on F-1 visa. I am graduating on May 9. I havent' applied for OPT (Optional Practical Training) thinking that I might get the work permit before July 9 which is 60 days after my graduation. During that 60 days period , is it legal to stay or once I apply for I-765 , I don;t have to leave since it is in processing. How long does it take to get work permit after my husband becomes a citzen? To apply for that does my husband need to have his US passport? Please help..I don't want to make any mistakes..

You can't apply for a work permit until you apply for adjustment of status. Right now it is better to apply for OPT then apply for adjustment. You will not be able to apply for adjustment until your husband has his Certificate of Naturalization.

Thanks federale. He is going to get his Certificate of Nauralization as well on the 23rd. For AOS don't you need an available immigrant/visa #?

Once i apply for AOS, do I have to worry about my status ...I don't have to leave U.S right?

You do not need an available visa number. However, if you are an illegal alien and entered without inspection you cannot adjust your status.

East Hampton [Long Island], New York [USA]
    You can file AOS (Form I-485) right away once your husband takes oath. He doesn't need his US passport to prove his US citizenship; rather naturalization certificate will be suffice which he will get right after the oath. It takes 60 days these days to get EAD/work permit after mailing AOS. You should send Form I-765 concurrently with AOS package.

Keep it in mind that AOS must be submitted with medical examination report, many pictures, Form I-864 and other more documentary evidences. It will take at least 3 days to have medical examination done because doctor will wait for your blood work to receive back from the lab and then TB test must be examined within 24-48 hours. And since the date of your husband's naturalization is so close then you better get going to have everything ready so that you can mail the application right away. I might be able to guide you on this AOS procedure and documents that you will need if you will be in need of my help.

You don't need to worry about falling out of status because out of status is automatically forgiven when applicant is an immediate relative of a US citizen. While your application will be processing, you won't be considered legal but immigration won't deport you either. Why? Because your status then be-adjusting status...a "cool" way to describe the status, I guess.

Good luck...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fatinkc:
    Hi, My husband will have his oath on April 23. That is the citizenproof right? I want to apply for my work permit I-765. Currently I am on F-1 visa. I am graduating on May 9. I havent' applied for OPT (Optional Practical Training) thinking that I might get the work permit before July 9 which is 60 days after my graduation. During that 60 days period , is it legal to stay or once I apply for I-765 , I don;t have to leave since it is in processing. How long does it take to get work permit after my husband becomes a citzen? To apply for that does my husband need to have his US passport? Please help..I don't want to make any mistakes.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>