50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: A matter of signatures.

Hi. I am a new member, i like this site and the forum. I recently got a work permit card and am waiting for an adjustment of status interview. But, i recently got a BIG DOUBT: when i received the social security card, it states one should sign it immediately, and i signed it with the signature i've used all my life (which is my maiden last name) have used it in most of the legal documents from my origin country, so i thought that might not change and could use it here too. My husband told me that my signature should be just the new married name instead, and that i should get a new SS card or this detail may cause problems with the immigration department as it doesn't match the name printed on the card. My questions are: IS THERE ANY PROBLEM IF I USE IN AMERICA THE SAME SIGNATURE I HAVE USED ALL MY LIFE AND MY ORIGIN COUNTRY DOCUMENTS? SHALL I SIGN ANY DOCUMENT FROM NOW ON JUST HANDWRITING MY NEW MARRIED NAME?
    I wonder if any other foreign people have had a doubt like mine. Seems small but i have no idea if this may affect all my legal processes in the United States. I just want some advice on this. Am aware many things in America are different than from any other countries. Just need to know what a legal signature is in this nation and if there is any problem if i keep using the signature i have used.
    I will appreciate so much any help on this issue, which may seem insignificant but now has doubts rubbing my mind all day long.

Hi. I am a new member, i like this site and the forum. I recently got a work permit card and am waiting for an adjustment of status interview. But, i recently got a BIG DOUBT: when i received the social security card, it states one should sign it immediately, and i signed it with the signature i've used all my life (which is my maiden last name) have used it in most of the legal documents from my origin country, so i thought that might not change and could use it here too. My husband told me that my signature should be just the new married name instead, and that i should get a new SS card or this detail may cause problems with the immigration department as it doesn't match the name printed on the card. My questions are: IS THERE ANY PROBLEM IF I USE IN AMERICA THE SAME SIGNATURE I HAVE USED ALL MY LIFE AND MY ORIGIN COUNTRY DOCUMENTS? SHALL I SIGN ANY DOCUMENT FROM NOW ON JUST HANDWRITING MY NEW MARRIED NAME?
    I wonder if any other foreign people have had a doubt like mine. Seems small but i have no idea if this may affect all my legal processes in the United States. I just want some advice on this. Am aware many things in America are different than from any other countries. Just need to know what a legal signature is in this nation and if there is any problem if i keep using the signature i have used.
    I will appreciate so much any help on this issue, which may seem insignificant but now has doubts rubbing my mind all day long.

General rule: sign your name the way it is printed on the document

Hey! Thanks a lot. So i guess that means i shall get a new SS card, ain't it?

I agree- the document should always be signed with the name printed on it. Many peopl eare not accustomed to signing their middle name- but on documetns, like mortgages or deeds, that include it, the signature should match. Of course here the custom is to take your husbands last ame when you marry, but that is not mandatory. However when you applied to immigration it appears to make the choice to do so. If so, you need to adjust your signature accordingly. If you prefer your old name, you will have the oppurtunity to change it again when you become a citizen.

Thank you very much Katycab, and also AliBa. Your replies have been really useful and i appreciate a lot the info !!! Well...gotta get ready for hurricane Frances if i don't want to be "gone with the wind"...hehehehe...

Dont worry about it if only it is the SIGNATURE on your Social Security Card that doesn't match. As long as it reflects your legal name that is on all documents that is fine.

There is no rule that a signature has to match EXACTLY your printed name.

My grandmother signs her documents "X" but her name isn't "X" and that is fine as long as she recognizes her own "X" as her documents in case of fraud.

No one READS your signature. Tney just look to see if documents that requires signature are in fact signed.

Don't worry. You will be fine and don't ask for a new card or else that would be a pain in the you know where.

In my old signature you couldnt read my name. In my country your signature can be anything. Your ID documents will prove that is your signature (even though yo can not read the name).

When I started filling the INS papers, my husband told me that here in the US the signature must be your name. I had to change it in order to avoid problems. Hope the US dont make a fuss because my old documents (the ones issued by my country) have a different signature.

I forgot to add that my signature has always been illegible, so I had no need to change it when I got married, or even when I signed legal documents using my middle name. The important thing is that the scribble on the document was *my* special scribble.

YES I AGREE WITH ALL OF YOU...you all have important points...i just hope immigration and other official processes could be a little more specific, like including the sentece "Signature (print your full name)" then that would be way easier and comprehensible...so far, have survided the feather bands from the hurricane...hehehehe...hey PEPPER: good point that of the pain... :b