50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Overstayed on F-1 visa.

After doing my bachelors + going thru the OPT period, i applied in Masters program. The admission was made but when the time came for the issuance of I-20, my advisor
    told me that it was beyond my OPT period OR legal stay and as a result he couldn't enter me into SEVIS system and couldn't issue me a new I-20. My overstay
    was around 6-8 months.

He gave me the only option to go back to my native country and apply for a fresh visa. I exactly did that but now the embassy has raised concerns over my over stay and
    wants documents from the department of homeland security proving that my overstay was an exception.

I had received tuition waiver and scholarship with my new admission so its a big loss to lose everything in US even though i tried to be very careful with breaking of the law.

Moreover, prior to the last 6-8 months when i got out of status, i stayed in excellent status. Graduated with Magna *** Laude at Bachelors level, worked with a
    company for a year. My criminal record, driving record, student status, credit card history all are clean and without any misdoings. Can this all work to put a good impression
    on the embassy? What are my options now since i did have excellent 6 years in US except for the last 6 - 8 months.

The embassy wants proof from the immigration department making my stay as an exception. But as you know a normal person especially outside of the country can not
    approach the authorities on his own thats why i have raised up this question here. Can the University or the Professors help me in this regard that although my stay was
    beyond the legal limit but atleast for the over stay period, i did not do any thing wrong in the country and i stayed with my Uncle, who is a U.S. citizen himself. Just hoping that
    i will get into a Masters Program.

thanks for your help and communication

After doing my bachelors + going thru the OPT period, i applied in Masters program. The admission was made but when the time came for the issuance of I-20, my advisor
    told me that it was beyond my OPT period OR legal stay and as a result he couldn't enter me into SEVIS system and couldn't issue me a new I-20. My overstay
    was around 6-8 months.

He gave me the only option to go back to my native country and apply for a fresh visa. I exactly did that but now the embassy has raised concerns over my over stay and
    wants documents from the department of homeland security proving that my overstay was an exception.

I had received tuition waiver and scholarship with my new admission so its a big loss to lose everything in US even though i tried to be very careful with breaking of the law.

Moreover, prior to the last 6-8 months when i got out of status, i stayed in excellent status. Graduated with Magna *** Laude at Bachelors level, worked with a
    company for a year. My criminal record, driving record, student status, credit card history all are clean and without any misdoings. Can this all work to put a good impression
    on the embassy? What are my options now since i did have excellent 6 years in US except for the last 6 - 8 months.

The embassy wants proof from the immigration department making my stay as an exception. But as you know a normal person especially outside of the country can not
    approach the authorities on his own thats why i have raised up this question here. Can the University or the Professors help me in this regard that although my stay was
    beyond the legal limit but atleast for the over stay period, i did not do any thing wrong in the country and i stayed with my Uncle, who is a U.S. citizen himself. Just hoping that
    i will get into a Masters Program.

thanks for your help and communication

The best thing you should write to your school and to the same person you alraedy spoke to before your departue he can write a letter to Embassy explaining that he had suggested that you should go to your home country and get a new visa and come back.

Sounds like your big stumbling block is meeting the presumption of nonimmigrant intent that is required for F-1. The overstay doesn't help that. I'd guess (and that's just what it is, a guess--I'm not a lawyer) that you will need to really show strong ties to your homeland, especially since you have a U.S. citizen relative you stayed with during your overstay.

could anyone help me with this question???

am i considered any of the following?? removal, exculsion/deportation, recission, or judical proceeding???

thank you all!!!

My I-94 did not have any exit date on it... It only said "Admitted Until ______" and its blank. What does that mean?

File form for change of st/Extension in your own case re-instatement of F1 status. Your DCO will know , most of the time u have to do the research yr self.

Don't let yr days keep counting till you do something or file for I-140 for bachelor student. Good luck!