publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: need a lawyer for marriage papers????

My boyfriend, who's a USC, and I just got married. We want to file all the documents so that I can get a green card (I was on F-1, haven't been in school since May 2004). Do we need a lawyer? or can we file ourselves?

My boyfriend, who's a USC, and I just got married. We want to file all the documents so that I can get a green card (I was on F-1, haven't been in school since May 2004). Do we need a lawyer? or can we file ourselves?

Dear Luv,
    First of all congratulations for your marriage, and welcome to the board.

A lawyer is not required, you can always file your papers on your own, hiring a lawyer is a good idea if you are in a serious problem or if you have extra money, the forms you need to submit are easy to fill out.

Good luck

thanks a lot injoy. I've started the paperwork. Phew!!! quite lenghty. for the financial support papers we're having a problem getting the federal tax docs filed for the past 3 years....will my husband have to contact the irs for those?

I belive you need to take the tax papers with you to the interview, so you still have enough time.

I had the same situation, you or your husband can contact the book keeper to get the form that you need to submit to the IRS requesting copies of the W2 forms for the last 2 or 3 years, I think each one costs around $30. It takes 30-45 for the IRS to send them.

The best thing to do nowadays is to call the IRS tracripts line at 1-800-829-1040 with the tax payer's SS#.

You can request tax transcripts only for the previous 3 years for anyone who filed with a with valid ss#. Its free and it takes 5-7 days for them to arrive.

Tax transcripts are better than any other form of evidence that one filed taxes because they prove that the IRS actually received your returns.