50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Happy Veterans Day

Happy Veterans Day to those who have served. Here is a link about some immigrants and Veterans Day.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Happy Veterans Day to those who have served. Here is a link about some immigrants and Veterans Day.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Thanks for sharing, Hudson. We should all take a moment today to pay homage to our veterans and remember our soldiers who are so dutifully serving our country.

SHE DID HER DUTY
    WOMEN WHO SERVED HAVE THEIR DAY OF HONOR TODAY, TOO

By Bill Rufty
    November 11, 2007

After the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, Charles Shepperson, of Cleveland, Ohio, wanted badly to join the military, but he couldn't. Because he'd had asthma since childhood, he was rejected.

ERNST PETERS
    A portrait taken during her days in the Marine Corps in World War II is shown Friday by Virginia Ribas, of Lakeland, now 85.

Virginia Ribas, as a Marine in Cherry HIll, N.C., in 1944 or 1945, from her photo alb.um.

Instead, his 20-year-old sister, Virginia, joined the U.S. Marine Corps.

"Well, someone from our family had to serve; the country was at war," said 85-year-old Virginia Shepperson Ribas, now of Lakeland.

Ribas, and all other men and women who served in the military, will be honored today on Veterans Day.

Ribas was one of thousands of women from the "Greatest Generation" who heeded the call to serve their country during World War II. She did her basic training at Camp Lejuene, N.C., and then was assigned to aircraft repair at nearby Cherry Point Marine Air Station, at the time the largest Marine aviation base in the world.

Before the end of the war, she had risen to the rank of sergeant and was in charge of night muster, or the night shift on repairs.

"I liked that duty the best of all," Ribas said. " At night muster you didn't have to stand inspection and we were working around the clock."

Ribas was the only woman on the night crew of aviation repair mechanics and was the supervisor as they patched up and overhauled the Corsairs and Wildcats flown by Marine pilots.

Dave Hogan, of the Center for Military History in the Pentagon, said women who joined the military did so voluntarily because the draft was only for men.

"One of the criticisms in retrospect is that we did not mobilize women to the degree that we could have in World War II. Their role that could have been played in the war effort was not appreciated. But we saw women jumping in where they could - the military and taking the place of drafted men in the factories, Rose The Riveter," he said.

"The biggest factor (was) the attitudes toward gender roles," Hogan said. "There was definitely the double standard for women in the military. And there were a number of women very eager to serve - the nurses corps, the female pilots who ferried fighter planes to England."

In all, about 350,000 women served in the military during the war.

Almost 70 years later, women are in every military field but direct combat, and dozens have died in the war in Iraq.

Ribas wasn't exactly on the home front, although here in the United States. There was tragedy in the U.S. as well the war "over there." Hundreds died here in military aircraft test flights and training accidents.

"I remember one pilot was going to fly to see his mom and dad before leaving (for overseas duty). He took one of the planes (apparently a Corsair) but climbed too steep on takeoff," she said. "It stalled and he came down nose first into the runway and he didn't make it."

Ribas, who was billeted with a large number of women Marines at the North Carolina base, said she never heard a derogatory remark about her service while in the Marines.

"When I got out, my mom and dad had moved to Hollywood here in Florida. I was working in a bookstore there and a man came in and made a remark when I said I had been in the Marines. I was a Marine. I went in to help my country," she said.

Ribas married after the war and lived in Georgia and Florida. She and her husband later separated. She has a daughter, grandchildren and great-grandchildren in Georgia.

Her brother, Charles, and his wife live in Chipley.

She has taught school and has worked at The Lakeland Center in her "retirement."

But her attitude on women in combat may surprise some after hearing her own story.

"They never sent women overseas until after World War II, except as nurses. I don't think they should be on the front line fighting," she said. "Women go in to serve our country, but I don't think they should be up front, although I did shoot 95 out of a 100 in the Marine sharpshooter exam, and I still have a gun."

Ribas agrees with the old saying, "Once a Marine always a Marine."

WEAR YOUR MEDALS ON VETERANS DAY...''VETERANS PRIDE INITIATIVE" SHOWS SUPPORT FOR SERVICE MEMBERS

WASHINGTON, Nov. 7 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ --

For veterans to show their support of the U.S. military, especially for the men and women serving overseas in the Global War on Terrorism, Acting Secretary of Veterans Affairs Gordon H. Mansfield called on the nation's 24 million veterans to wear their military decorations on Veterans Day.

"By wearing our decorations, we show the world the unity of our support for the U.S. armed forces and our pride in the men and women serving today on the frontlines of freedom," said Mansfield, a decorated and wounded combat veteran of the Vietnam War. "We also teach the meaning and the value of military service to the children of America."

Former Secretary Jim Nicholson, launched the "Veterans Pride Initiative" a year ago, urging veterans to pin on their decorations for Veterans Day, Memorial Day, the Fourth of July and other patriotic holidays and events.

Additional information about the initiative can be found at VA's Web site at http://www.va.gov/veteranspride