50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Goverment Housing Assistance

Is a immigrant who is applying for residency or citizenship in jeopardy of losing that if they apply for housing asistance?

Is a immigrant who is applying for residency or citizenship in jeopardy of losing that if they apply for housing asistance?

How long has the alien had their Green card for?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
    1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

Less than 5 years. I work for a goverment housing agency that assist low income families and individuals with rental asistance. I'm now coming across more hispanic applicants with these kinds of questions.

ncramos, I have not heard personally of anyone having trouble with residency or citizenship due to it, but there is the 5yr rule where immigrants are not allowed to receive Government assistance, including housing.
    I do know of some people who have USC children that have managed to receive help however.

Some States override the Immigration rules, so my advice would be first, to find out where your State or city/county, stands on the immigration 5 yr rule first. They might not even be entitled to assistance.

(The 5 yr rule is because a sponsor signs an affidavit saying the alien will not receive government help).

Sorry I cannot help more, but hopefully some of this information will be helpful.

Someone will come along I am sure and give more details.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
    1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

ncramos: You ask whether an "immigrant" applying for either residency or citizenship would jeopardize said application if they were to request housing assistance.

Well, first, an immigrant should NOT be a burden to America.

Second, are you referring to legal immigrants or illegal immigrants...or do you care to make that distinction?

If someone is applying for residency status, then they have no business in applying for housing assistance. They're not even a resident of this country, and they're already looking for a handout from the American taxpayer. Most likely, they're not even supposed to be in America.

If a legal immigrant is applying for Government assistance, then this begs the question as to why they, having been afforded the opportunity to live in America, have then become a burden?

One might also wonder how much money these immigrants, whether legal or illegal, are sending back to Mexico every month...and whether the American taxpayer is subsidizing those payments with their tax dollars? In saying that, Mexico has been a burden to both America and the American taxpayer for generations. Mexico is basically a country that subsists on American welfare.

sprint_girl07: Thank you for the information. I will look into this.

Is SkunkDevil's worhtless opinion being ignored again? I can't believe it...