free information!
Copyright
1995-2014
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: H1B - Investing in the Stock Market

Hi - had a question on investing while on a valid H-1B:

1. While on a valid H-1B status am I allowed under immigration law to buy/sell stocks and gain income from there? I have heard that it is considered "passive" or "investment" income and that is allowed - as long as you have your primary job with the original employer.

2. Wanted to confirm if that is not a violation of the H1B status or will cause any problems when applying for an employment based Green Card?

Thanks very much!

Regards,
    SR.

1. While on a valid H-1B status am I allowed under immigration law to buy/sell stocks and gain income from there? I have heard that it is considered "passive" or "investment" income and that is allowed - as long as you have your primary job with the original employer.

2. Wanted to confirm if that is not a violation of the H1B status or will cause any problems when applying for an employment based Green Card?

Thanks very much!

Regards,
    SR.

Hi Sr and welcome,

I found the following: (not sure how accurate it is, but it does make sense that an H1B worker can buy and sell stocks)

http://answers.google.com/answers/th...id/784301.html

"From An Immigrant, to Future Immigrants"
    http://www.immihelp.com/visas/h1b/

"H1 visa holder can buy house or any other real estate property in
    USA. H1 visa holder can also work invest money in stocks, mutual
    funds, bonds etc. H1 visa holder can not work as self-employed or
    freelancer and do contract type of work in free time."

You can invest in property--

Originally from: Galaxy of Centaurus A (also known as NGC 5128)
    No, you can't buy or sell publicly traded stocks if you are on H1b visa !!!
    The only people who can buy or sell stocks are those who hold TOS Visa (Trader Of Stocks Visa).
    It's issued in very rare instances and only to those who can prove there is no more American left on planet Earth to buy publicly traded stocks.

I also heard today that they are planning to extradite Daimler-Benz major stockholder, along with Nissan Motors owmners, to US, in order to charge them with illegal ownership of those corporations while abroad and subsequently deport them as a form of punishment !!!

They are also deporting (the case is in Court as we speak) certain Doctor Mahundi Rwalpindi, who is originally from Dehli.
    He is a doctor whose I-485 was pending, he was charged for purchase of stocks on NY Stock Market while lacking the TOS Visa.
    His deportation is scheduled for October the 5th.

It's all over the news !!!

Beware !!!
    Have all the good s.ex you can, in all the ways you can, for as long as ever you can !

-- Sabuntium The Great

I run my own fund. It includes comprehensive list of companies that covers virtually every sector like Oil, Engergy and Gas, Telecommunications, Financial etc.

Just send me cashiers check and I will open an account for you in my firm. We guarantee 25% return on your investment. And if you can have your citizen friends and relative vote for Mc Cain, once he is in the office the return will double 50%. We guarantee it or your money back.
    If Democrats Had Any Brains, They'd Be Republicans

Democrats - Brave enough to KILL our unborn, just NOT our ENEMIES!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sr:

Thanks very much!

Regards,
    SR. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Generally, buying and selling stock is a passive activity unless. It does not violate immigration law to pursue this endeavor. However, there are special situaitons which it may be considered a nonpassive activity. The main issue is that report all investment income on your return to remain in full compliance with the immigration and tax laws. Hope this helps.

NOTEL I would not trust A9's claim of 25$ return guaranteed. Stay as far away from this individual.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Thank you ProudUSC and Hudson for your replies.