free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: N400 - Application Question?

Looking for some suggestions from the contributing members.

I am 90 days away from acquiring the 5 years necessary to apply for naturalization. My Permenant Residency was obtained by my employer's sponsorship five years ago.

My H1-B process, the green card process, were all handled by a legal firm and there was no complications and/or unsual circumstances otherwise. According to the lawyers, from day 1 to the day I got the approval for my green card, ever thing was by the book and nothing was out of the ordinary. It took me the 'anticipated' 2.5 years to complete it. All legal fees were paid for by my then employer and the attorney asked for a package fee since he was confident the process was simple and uneventful.

I am now looking at the N400 process and it all seems equally simple. My question to the contributors is should I bother with an attorney for this process? Do I need to get legal representation? I read a few of the previous postings and not may mention using an attorney. What I am trying to assert is if there is any proven value an attorney can provide in N400 filings. Most attorneys keep provisions to charge more should the case get complicated so a 'package fee' to just submit the document seems redundant.

Any suggestions and comments are welcome.

Thank you,

-A

Looking for some suggestions from the contributing members.

I am 90 days away from acquiring the 5 years necessary to apply for naturalization. My Permenant Residency was obtained by my employer's sponsorship five years ago.

My H1-B process, the green card process, were all handled by a legal firm and there was no complications and/or unsual circumstances otherwise. According to the lawyers, from day 1 to the day I got the approval for my green card, ever thing was by the book and nothing was out of the ordinary. It took me the 'anticipated' 2.5 years to complete it. All legal fees were paid for by my then employer and the attorney asked for a package fee since he was confident the process was simple and uneventful.

I am now looking at the N400 process and it all seems equally simple. My question to the contributors is should I bother with an attorney for this process? Do I need to get legal representation? I read a few of the previous postings and not may mention using an attorney. What I am trying to assert is if there is any proven value an attorney can provide in N400 filings. Most attorneys keep provisions to charge more should the case get complicated so a 'package fee' to just submit the document seems redundant.

Any suggestions and comments are welcome.

Thank you,

-A

Hello Aash

Lot of new members this morning.. Welcome to the forum.

first I will ask if your 5 years as LPR has been run of the mill.. clean records, no dui, shoplifting, misdemeanors. IF so.. seek a lawyer.

If you have been a relatively model citizen, N-400 is probably the simplest form to fill out and submit. Directions for what to include are straight forward. One of the main focus is that all federal state and local taxes have been paid. You will need to get IRS transcript verifying such.

save the attorney fees on this one. ITs a no brainer.

Best Wishes

Yes, I have managed to keep a clean record with all aspects considered for naturalization. No DUIs, no arrests, no criminal records etc. All taxes paid. The suggestion to acquire the tax transcript is a good one. I did not think of getting this ahead of time.

Income Tax Transcripts/Returns are not required as evidence to be submitted along with the N-400 application.

At the N-400 interview, the adjudicator may ask for them if USCIS has reason to believe that the applicant lied or concealed a material fact in regards to the question asking if there any taxes owed.

I brought the last 3 years of income tax to my naturalization interview but they did not ask for them.

Regards,

Aguila

As you said that you have no records what so ever during this 4years and 9months, then you can file your N-400.

You do not need an Attorney for this. read the instructions on N-400 and you can do it.
    I also started my N-400 process after 4years and 9 months, within one years time I am now USC. Its simple, you can do it. I arrived in May 2000 and become USC in April 06.
    You have no records you are clean then not to worrey about. "Jay ramji"

Thank you to you all for your responses. They do truly help. If you have a moment, would kindly share with me the documents you sent with your N400 application and the documents you thought relevant collected for the interview process?

the last thing you need for this is an attorney.
    gather the stuff they need you to have and submit it.Thats all...
    You wanna become US citizen,so you file and submit your stuff.Thats all....an attorney os not gonna make any difference.
    Good Luck

PS: a good attorney would tell you,that you don't need a lawyer either.But then again,only a good attorney would admit that...

Aaash: go to uscis pullout the forms, first will be the check list. go through that and you can collect all documents needed for your N-400.
    You must always take all the documents asked for, you never know what he/she will ask to present.

First print the check list from uscis webpage.
    best of luck.

Hi,

Does anyone have any information on the N-400 application length for someone living in Chicago?

Also, if I have successfully fulfilled all criteria for naturalization (for the past 5 years) yet have been outside of the US constantly for the first 3 years of having a green card, would that jeoparidize my application at all? Or is USCIS concerned with the last 5 years only?

Please advise. Thank you.