free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Returning from overseas

I have been out of USA for the last 20 years ( with a few entrances), and a holder of a GC (I551) without expiration date. What problem I might face if I use my GC at Immigration gate? Can it (GC) be retained or not?

I have been out of USA for the last 20 years ( with a few entrances), and a holder of a GC (I551) without expiration date. What problem I might face if I use my GC at Immigration gate? Can it (GC) be retained or not?

As you haven't been residing in the USA, you lost/abandoned your status of "permanent resident" long time ago.
    Most likely, you wan't be able to enter the USA using your old old GC.
    Do you have somebody who can sponsor you for GC again?

You can apply for an SB1 visa. You don't need someone to apply for you.

Prince: You have clearly abandoned your residency status in America, and your green card is invalid. In any event, permanent residents with the old-style green cards - those without expiration dates - were required to exchange them for new-style cards.

You can almost guarantee that your green card will be retained at the port of entry, and that you will be denied entry.

If you are a citizen of a visa waiver country, I doubt that you, as a previous resident, would be eligible to use the visa waiver program. The best bet would be to apply for a B-1 tourist visa at the American embassy in your country of origin.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by federale86:
    You can apply for an SB1 visa. You don't need someone to apply for you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> SB1 visa is "returning resident" visa, and prince2009 is hardly"a resident" any more.. Besides, there are strict rules for SB1 visa, as to what prevented a resident to return to the USA within 12 months. It has to be a reason beyond resident's control; like being in coma.

you are not allowed to stay out of the usa for over 12 months unless you get clearance with uscis before you leave they consider abadonment of card do you still have our old card I had an old card and lost mine and took wow 18 months to get a new one.. Why you stay out 20 years if i may ask ..
    contact immigration to get confirmation ..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by prince2009:
    I have been out of USA for the last 20 years ( with a few entrances), and a holder of a GC (I551) without expiration date. What problem I might face if I use my GC at Immigration gate? Can it (GC) be retained or not? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Regards and thanks,
    Mary Josephine :-)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mary Ireland:
    you are not allowed to stay out of the usa for over 12 months unless you get clearance with uscis before you leave they consider abadonment of card do you still have your old card I had an old card and lost mine and took wow 18 months to get a new one.. they verified who i was with the fbi etc and i had to give biometrics etc and go through process As those older cards are still valid but they require you to get the newer version since 9/11 security
    Why you stay out 20 years if i may ask ..
    contact immigration to get confirmation ..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by prince2009:
    I have been out of USA for the last 20 years ( with a few entrances), and a holder of a GC (I551) without expiration date. What problem I might face if I use my GC at Immigration gate? Can it (GC) be retained or not? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Regards and thanks,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mary Ireland:
    you are not allowed to stay out of the usa for over 12 months unless you get clearance with uscis before you leave they consider abadonment of card do you still have your old card I had an old card and lost mine and took wow 18 months to get a new one.. they verified who i was with the fbi etc and i had to give biometrics etc and go through process As those older cards are still valid but they require you to get the newer version since 9/11 security
    Why you stay out 20 years if i may ask ..
    contact immigration to get confirmation .. But as i spent wow hours on the phone to uscis they will ask you why you stayed out 20 years come on thats 2 decades ..the new gcs are valid for 10 years I had the one for life as i am sure you do.. but still it had rules attached to it If you become usc you can stay out or in as long as you wish

I have been out of USA for the last 20 years ( with a few entrances), and a holder of a GC (I551) without expiration date. What problem I might face if I use my GC at Immigration gate? Can it (GC) be retained or not? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Regards and thanks,

SunDevilUSA, Yuo are right. Nevertheless, the update call of I-551 w/o expiration date has not been a law, last year the DHS had the intention letter for calling ALL old card for update but ddid not pass at congress. This is still pending issue for more that 1 million GC holders.