publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Could someone help with more information on visas that allow me to work in the US

Hello members of the ILW.com forum

I found this forum only yesterday and signed up straight away as there appears to be a lot of knowledge about the whole visa, work permit process. I did try a search to see if my situation has been discussed before but I guess every situation is unique? So, if anyone could give any hints, tips or ideas they'd be really appreciated.

My situation is that I've been trying to move to California for approx. 18 -24 months, the method I've been using is that of looking for a job so that I could gain entry with an H1B visa. I've not had much luck, however just before Christmas I had a company contact me that were very interested in hiring me.... it was at this point that I found out about how quickly the H1B visas are taken up and how few of them are actually available per year.

The company is still interested in hiring me however time is an issue, and as I'm sure the majority of you are aware even if they start the sponsorship process and apply on April 1st I will not be allowed to start until October under that visa. Does anyone have any ideas on whether I could or the company could on my behalf apply for a different type of visa that would allow me to move to the US and start work prior to October, and if this sort of visa is available can it, at a later date be changed or amended to an H1B? Admittedly I have my doubts, but my internet searches aren't helping much anymore.

In case it helps, the company is a private company in the scientific research / biotech sector and I am a UK citizen, my profession is that of scientific researcher with a Masters degree and 7 years experience.

I hope you can help, thanks.

I found this forum only yesterday and signed up straight away as there appears to be a lot of knowledge about the whole visa, work permit process. I did try a search to see if my situation has been discussed before but I guess every situation is unique? So, if anyone could give any hints, tips or ideas they'd be really appreciated.

My situation is that I've been trying to move to California for approx. 18 -24 months, the method I've been using is that of looking for a job so that I could gain entry with an H1B visa. I've not had much luck, however just before Christmas I had a company contact me that were very interested in hiring me.... it was at this point that I found out about how quickly the H1B visas are taken up and how few of them are actually available per year.

The company is still interested in hiring me however time is an issue, and as I'm sure the majority of you are aware even if they start the sponsorship process and apply on April 1st I will not be allowed to start until October under that visa. Does anyone have any ideas on whether I could or the company could on my behalf apply for a different type of visa that would allow me to move to the US and start work prior to October, and if this sort of visa is available can it, at a later date be changed or amended to an H1B? Admittedly I have my doubts, but my internet searches aren't helping much anymore.

In case it helps, the company is a private company in the scientific research / biotech sector and I am a UK citizen, my profession is that of scientific researcher with a Masters degree and 7 years experience.

I hope you can help, thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EdwardH:

I hope you can help, thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    It is possible that you may be eligible for the extra ordinary ability work visa. which scientific specialty?
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

My experience is in biology. Microbiology, Molecular biology and Tissue culture to be specific.

I'm unsure whether I could be looked upon as a scientist with extra ordinary ability... perhaps I need to be more positive about my skills? I think I have come across some details about this visa but am not sure. Could you tell me what code it is? i.e. H1B and i'll do a bit of reading.

Maybe you're referring to "O-1" nonimmigrant visa for an alien with extraordinary ability in science, where you have to comply with at least three (3) of the listed requirements.

Another avenue that you can explore is EB-2 or Second Employment-based preference defined as "Members of the Professions Holding Advanced Degrees or Persons of Exceptional Ability."

One thing good with EB-2 is that if you're lucky enough to "piece together the challenging immigration puzzle," in a matter of months, you'll be entering into the US as an immigrant.

Thanks for giving me the visa codes Rough Neighbor, I've done a quick search and read of the O-1 and EB2 visas. Unfortunately the O-1 is out of my league, it'll be a few years before I'm due a nobel prize!!

The EB2 does sound like a promising option though, i'll forward the details on to the company that's interested in hiring me.... EB2 sounds a much better solution overall compared to the H1B.

You're welcome. Good luck in your pursuit of the American dream.

Its wha the job requires, not what you have.

Uni's are not subject to the cap.

Or find a nice USC fiancee.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Theone:
    Its wha the job requires, not what you have.

Uni's are not subject to the cap.

Or find a nice USC fiancee. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yet if what the job category requires all coincide with what he has, he's good to go.

When you said "Uni's are not subject to the cap," do you refer to his master's being exempt from the 65,000 H-1B, but rather with 20,000 separate cap? But there's no indication that he finished his master's from a US university.

Hi,
    Sorry I've been a little confused now... Theone says it's what the job requires? Surely If I apply for a job that I meet the requirements and have the specific experience for, i.e. my Bachelors and Masters Degrees as well as work experience. Then I could be eligible for the EB-2?

Also, I forgot to say in my original post that all of my qualifications were obtained in the UK, so unfortunately those extra 20,000 H1B's are out of my grasp!